Rabbits and cold house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swanlake wrote:
rabbits do much better in the cold than in the heat.

echo and fee like to lay in our freezing cold sunroom, and got really mad when we closed the door so we had to reopen it. the other two are in the basement where it is cold all the time.

Ditto. They have furry coats so I'm more worried about heat than cold. Our home stays pretty cool most of the time.. 60s. Heat will make mine shed a ton, though! Mine are happier with it cool and even like to be out on our elevated deck all day even when it's freezing for me.

I have to say what has been written, hay is the way to go(in this situation) but should have hay all the time as well. I totally agree with Flashy. Diet has alot to do with the poo issues. If you change diet and still have poo issues, then we're looking at gastric issues, possibly. Adding hay to the diet that is not used to it should show no issues. But, watch when changing pellet diets. Those need to be handled differently, albeit, slowly.

Start feeding hays, and different kinds. Like Oat hays are great for the teeth, so they are great for the gut as well. Also, continue to feed the Timothy Hay. Let us know how it's going.;)

How is your bun acting today? She may need some heat if she is acting off because baths are stressful for buns.

I'm glad she now has hay, that's good :) Are you going to remove the pellets to see if that helps the gut, and then gradually reintroduce them?

She seems to be doing alright. I didn't want to soak her in the tub since she has a big bath the night before. I will soak her one more time. I think we got it all off, but there might be a little bit on there.

She had some poop at the bottom of the cage, but it is a little bit better. I think we fed her too much timothy hay pellets. I give her cheerios once in awhile too. She loves apple treats, but I hardly give them to her. I also stopped with the romaine and parsley too. I know the greens bother her. She has a very sensitive stomach.

Thanks for asking. I love that Santa outfit. Did your rabbit mind you putting it on him or her? I bougth our Smokey the elf outfit.

how much pellets do you feed her? i feed my big adult guys (~4-5lb bunnies) 1/8 c timmy pellets each every day. the bf feeds his little guys (2-3 lb bunnies) 1/4 c timmy for ben and 1/4 c timmy mixed with alfalfa for frida (we're still trying to wean her off the shelter pellets).

Toby didn't like the Santa suit much, but because it restricted his movement, he had to deal with it.

Toby, our Netherland Dwarf gets 1 ounce of pellets/day. Berry-Boo (Mini-Rex) gets two servings of 1/4 cup of pellets per day. Berry-Boo is about 6-months old, so she will be getting a little less soon.

Toby looks like our Smokey in the Santa suit. So darn cute.

I had some lady who I used to know ask me how old are bunny is and I said four. She said hers died at five and said they don't live very long. She has had me so upset over this. Sorry I am telling you this. Why are people so mean? I have been so down. Everytime I look at our rabbit, I pray she lives a long life.

Rabbit care is a bit like people care at the moment. Rabbits are living longer lives than they used to because vets are more educated. Yes, something tragic might happen tomorrow, but the chances are it won't. Rabbits can commonly live to 8-10 and some live into their teens.

Try not to worry about not having him, or else you won't enjoy him while he is here, just enjoy him everyday, that way, if anything happens, you know you and he have made the most of his time.

Latest posts

Back