Rabbits and chinchillas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnycat

Reaction score
I have a chinchilla, and I just got my bun today. (YAY!)
I'm wondering if it's alright to keep them in the same room. They're both in my room at the moment. I'd like to keep it this way since I'm in here most of the time and I can spend time with both of them equally.

Would it be a bad idea because chins are nocturnal and rabbits are crepuscular/a bit more active during the day and they'd keep each other up? My chinchilla is awake and asleep during random parts of the day, and if he's up at night he never wakes me.

Also, could diseases be transmitted?
I've seen videos on youtube with rabbits and chinchillas playing. I'm guessing this is alright if it is supervised and the animals are comfortable with each other.

Anyway, to get to my point, I'd just like some opinions/experience/advice on the topic. :)

Edit: Just read more on pasturella. Now I'm really scared that my rabbit might carry it and could spread it to my chinchilla...

Okay, I'm thinking that this is really not good now. =/ I didn't hear a thing about pasteurella when researching rabbits, and now I'm reading that it's deadly to chinchillas. This sucks. Now I'll need to separate and wash/sanitize myself. Crap.

Personally, I would keep them seperate.

Not only to prevent the transmission of diseases, but simply because chinchillas are fragile animals, and if your rabbit were to get aggressive or overlyplayful, then your chinchilla could easily be severely injured.

Yeah, I'm definitely not ever going to let them play together now. I've moved the rabbit into my brother's room for tonight since he's not here. Not sure what I'm going to do after that exactly... so upsetting. :/

I don't think that it's something to be totally paranoid about (I have 10 rabbits and a chinchilla and so far, we haven't had any problems *Knock on wood*) so don't freak out quite yet unless your rabbit or chinchilla show symptoms of pastuerella. Just play it smart, keep the conditions sanitary and don't let them play together and it should be fine.

Okay, thank you - I was kinda freaked yesterday, but both seem to be completely fine, and I've always got their cages and area clean.

Latest posts

Back