Rabbits and cats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketsizedrhino

Reaction score
I moved back home while waiting on my new lease to start up so I have my bunny and rats here with me. My almost 13 year old cat lives here and tonight I was holding Kirby on my bed and he came up, happy to see I was home. They had never been this close and to my surprise he started nuzzling her like he does when he is happy to see me and he licked her face once too! He laid down so I let her hop around on the bed while I supervised closely. She put her front legs against him to stand higher and he looked annoyed but I got her off. I was really surprised how well behaved he was with her!
I was wondering if people let their buns and cats out in the same room together? Are any of them friends? Do they cuddle and groom?
My cat won't be living in the new apartment with us but I'm curious! :)

2lc8h3b.jpg

2n1anur.jpg

Yup, my cats hang out near my bunnies on a regular basis... Sometimes, a bunny might get a face wash from Sigmund :)

Your pussycat looks so patient with Kirby! I love inter-species licks LOL!:biggrin2:

Thanks for sharing!

I brought Sweetie over to my mom's house a couple times and let her hop around and the cats and dog were very good with her. I also kept close supervision. They were all very good with Sweetie.

I'm usually nervous about inter-species mingling but it went so well!
..My boyfriends kitten, on the other hand..gets this look in her eyes like she wants to hunt! She jabs her paw through the cage panels and pokes Kirby who just stands there and takes it. Haha. :D

oooh... keep those kitty cat claws trimmed down... I know of a few rabbits who have been badly scratched by a playful kitten... one in the eyes. Not a pretty scenario...

You might consider purchasing soft paws vinyl claw covers for your cats. Pain-free, stress-free way to lower chances of accidental scratches.

That being said, cats and buns can get on pretty well (as you've noticed!)

My old boy was declawed in the front when he was young... :( so no worries with him. Asha (the kitten) won't be declawed and I showed my boyfriend soft paws but he didn't seem interested. We don't live together but Kirby had to stay at his apartment over a weekend and that's when those two met through the cage. That cat is such a wild nutcase, I don't think I'd be comfortable letting them out together!
I didn't even think about her getting scratched in the eye or something bad... :\

:O I saw the first picture and was about to accuse you of stealing my cat :p

I don't let mine near the buns, although she does quite like them. She is allowed very strict supervised access with Cloud whoms she loves and will groom (she seems to have a preference for all white bunnies) but no one else.

I had a boy called Flash and the cat climbed in his hutch and went to sleep while flash was in with me. I didn't know and just put Flash back and found the cat in there a couple of hours later. Flash had been very thoroughly cleaned but also had clearly been swiped. He died the next day due to what happened so I will never ever allow my cat to fully interact with them because I don't ever want to feel it was my fault that I lost more.

Equally, when the cat was accidently asleep in the living room with a rabbit running free in there once the rabbit (Moon) attacked the cat and chased it straight out the house (the cat was asleep and Moon lept on her and started digging and flying at her. Rude awakening for the cat but was quite proud of my Moon for being so feisty). So there can can be issues the other way too.

I personally would never ever trust them. If you do have them together only have them under close supervision and never leave them alone because it only takes one moment for one to flip and hurt the other and it is pretty unpredictable as to if/when it might happen.

Hello, i have 5 cats who are free range with peppa and georgie, but they are old cats of 11 so have had years of living with rabbits at different times. All are different but in my experience the rabbits scare the cats the most. As people say the thing is to make sure they are not cats that will claw or bite the bunnies.
Mine are friends, and i spent ages last night watching peppa pushing her nose under henna the cats nose waiting patiently for him to groom her. He looked strangely at her like "what are you doing and what is with those ears?" he he
She kept doing it and i desperately wanted henna to groom her but he didnt. Bless it was like she had a crush and he wasnt going for it. Peppa never grooms, georgie always does the grooming.The funny thing is how the inter species thing presents little threat to them as henna wont befriend any of our other cats, but is happy for peppa to sit under his nose and peppa would as we know not just accept another rabbit if it arrived we would have to bond etc, but a cat is of no problem x

AHH! That is adorable! I haven't had cats around my bun but if it's a nice kitty and she's declawed then it shoud be okay - just monitor them together for the first week or so!

tha tale of a cottontail,by james waller,..once upon a time there lived a older indoor(male)kitten-(8 mon.8#)-he lived in the living room-with his sister,and two 10 # bunnies,,.in the bedroom lived a cottontail-(3 yr./2.2 #)-in his own evironment,-with his saraget parents-(homer-pigeons)..everything was fine until,one fine morning i slipped out, the male kitty slipped in (unnoticed by me)-,upon returning 20 minutes later found kitty wanting out,,i said naughty kitty-and set him out,,,all eyes were on me for i missed the battle of the century,,checked under the bed was my baby hopping around,,-then i spotted a small coagulated pool of blood,,after examining my baby bun-found a right rear toe nail missing,,which had bled profusly,,and a small punture on his left eye lid---he had won the war,but paid a price,,.i installed a baby gate out side the bedroom door so there will be no more suprises,./.i am very pleased my bun survived,,it shows the tenacity of a determined foe,,anyway i thought you would enjoy this story,,as predator and pray do-not necessarily get along,..sincerely james waller

I have 2 cats that are around my rabbits all the time. They pretty much ignore each other. When I first brought the rabbits home, my one cat had the look in her eyes that I brought her home a moving toy. But she quickly lost interest. She would poke them through the cage for about 2-3 days and then she just lost interest. If the rabbits are running around the house she will sit on her cat condo and watch them. Once in a while the cat will chase the rabbits or the rabbits will chase the cat. But once they get close to each other they don't do anything. My other cat is blind so she pays them no attention unless they run by her real fast and then she will hiss. But in the 4 years I have had all of them they have never hurt each other or tried. Both of my cats are front declawed.

Yup all my cats get along with my buns. Smidgeon my youngest LOVES to cuddle with Bubble Gum and nuzzle her. I will have to get pictures soon.

My cat is TERRIFIED of my bunny
He wont ever come in the same room as him
I was most concerned about him terrorizing my bunny but i sat down with them with my bunny in his cage and my cat on the outside. I sat my cat down in front of the cage and he back up and took off out of my room.
What a baby. My bun handled it well though just sniffing through the cage hes such a good boy :]

Latest posts

Back