Rabbits and cat trees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBunz

Reaction score
Do rabbits like cat trees? My girl started hopping on the end tables and I was thinking of getting one for her but I don't want to spend the money if they don't like them/know how to use them.
Thanks!

I have one who doesn't use my cat's cat tree and one who loves the cat tree. So I think it depends on the individual.

Most rabbits like to have a high point of view. One of mine really loved jumping on high places and laying there like the King of rabbits but he sucked at getting down and I had to help him down quite often XD. Maybe you can try piling two cardboard boxes (a smaller one on top of a big one to make like a roof-terrace?) to see if she likes to climb on top before buying anything? You also got little houses for rabbits with a first floor and a roof like those:
http://www.bunnydreams.com/en/?fuseaction=&option=getcontent&p=Maisonnettes_et_cabanes_p

https://store.binkybunny.com/playhouses-c7.aspx

It's cheaper than most cat trees and as effective I think.
My mother actually made one for me with wooden wine crates - my rabbits have been using it for 7 years and love it (Aki is going blind and she is not using the roof anymore but she still likes to go on the 1st floor).

Or you could look at "Cardboard Castles". I've made 3 and 4 story ones by taking on giant box and filling with smaller boxes with holes cut from one to the next and one with a hole in the top for the next level, and so on til they can get to the top--had one that was 4 feet tall. Imagine my surprise when I came in and found the Checkered Giant on top as I thought the holes in the last 2 levels were too small for her to get through. I also cut a window out the side on each level.

I think it depends on the rabbit but I have seen many rabbits who love cat trees even more then the cats themselves.

Thanks guys for your help! Lucky is way too big for hopping on cardboard haha. I'm unsure of her weight but she only weighs a little less than my dog who is 11lbs. I carry them both around XD
I think I will get one of those little cheap cat trees with a hidey hole and one level above that. If she likes that I think I will talk my husband into making her a big one since that will be cheaper than a store bought one.
Thanks!

I mentioned our Checkered Giant Serena a couple spaces up about Cardboard Castles--she weighed 19 pounds, 7 ounces, so the cardboard can be constructed to hold a fairly large bunny. The box I used as a starter for the whole thing came with 75 pounds of hay and I used one that contained a dryer drum that was double walled. If they are packed in tight they are very sturdy and layering adds to the strength too. They also like to play with and in a single box too--Ted, an 11 pound lop would take a virgin box and within less than ten minutes would have a hole big to get thru and in twenty minutes he'd have a run through. Ted also loved brown shopping bags and getting inside our cabinets and drawers.

Nancy, what do you use to hold everything together? My girl likes to eat tape so I don't wanna use that

My buns do like to climb (they've been known to use my office chair to get up onto my desk for example) so I've thought about a cat tree for them before, but the ones I would consider for them are usually coated in the kind of carpeting I know they would destroy.

Micropore tape! Good idea.
Missyscove, I guess I'm lucky my rabbit could care less about carpet. I think it doesn't make enough noise haha

Latest posts

Back