Rabbitry Visitors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Roger.

I do not allow anyone in my rabbitry unlessthey are a friend of mine. I do not care ifthey don't buy a rabbit from me because of this. I have heard the horror stories and find that it is much less stressful to just sell at shows. If you want a rabbit of mine, you can meet me somewhere. I have no problem bringing the parents too.

There are many reasons why breeders don't allow the public into their rabbitries. For the people who say, "I won't buy a rabbit unless I see where they lived and the parents, etc", I say, "You people need to put yourselves into a breeders' shoes". How would you like it if someone stole your rabbits from your rabbitry just because they felt you were abusing them or you wouldn't sell a particular one?

IMO, the reasons breeders don't allow the public into their rabbitry are NOT LAME!!! I am sure that if something bad happened to you or to one of your friends rabbitries, you would not allow people in anymore either.

I am not bashing anyone on here, this is just what I have been thinking of saying to anyone who would argue with me about not letting them in.

Sharon

I also agree with Roger and Sharon. I don't let people in my barn either. I meet people at shows or meet them places. A bottle of hand sanitizer isn't' going to cut it if they drag in germs or bacteria on their clothes or shoes. Ever heard of RVHD? Spread on shoes... people have lost entire herds... hundreds of rabbits because of it. (When there is an outbreak, the authorities come in and burn everything...)

I've had ARA's at my house...(Why are the rabbits in cages? Why can't they all play together?) I've had people threaten me (I didn't want to sell them the rabbit THEY wanted!). I've lost rabbits to fear and panic. I've had rabbits injured and traumatized by stupid people. These are all preventable by keeping unknown people out of my rabbitry.

It is really, really easy to see if a rabbit has been well cared for. How easily is it handled? How clean is it? Good condition? good weight? Clean ears/eyes/vent? If a rabbit has been kept in a dirty/crowded cage, not fed properly, etc. It will be very apparent.

I back all my sales... any problems - I'm here... very accessible... as are good breeders. This is not a business... it's my hobby and my passion. We don't need people condemning/bashing breeders for decisions we make for the good of our rabbits. And I am perfectly comfortable if someone doesn't want to buy a rabbit from me because I won't show them the parents. Just as I won't sell to everyone that asks, you don't have to buy from everyone that offers... it's your prerogative, and mine.

What you consider breeder bashing is not intended to be. You have misunderstood my comments and if that is what you want to hear then so be it. Most of the excuses I have heard breeders give, in person, is lame- to me at least. I have heard it all at this point including and I am ashamed to say it- My rabbits are a mess. This to me is lame and a cop out. I have questions that I wanted answers to here so I could have some answers from breeders whom I was thinking loved and cared about their rabbits and rabbits in general- I thought thats why we are all here. Now I have not slammed anyone personally and neither has the person who started this post but some of you may as well have done that to us who have questions. I thought as adults we could have open, honest discussions without attacking one another but it seems maybe we can't. I am sorry to have had questions and my own opinions. Forgive me!

Janet, the breeders here (and elsewhere) do care about their rabbits (and rabbits in general) henceforth why they have these rules set in place to protect them!

I agree with Roger, Sharon and Cathy and Kayleigh.
Allowing buyers into the rabbitry poses so much harm and risk for the rabbits that it's just not safe.
Really, I would rather lose a sale than lose a rabbit to a disease brought in by a buyer, or my rabbits spooking and killing themselves because a buyer was scaring them, etc.

I very rarely allow even my family into my rabbitry (besides my mom who feeds them when I'm gone) and no one is allowed in there without my permission and supervision. So to allow a stranger in whom I don't even know, would be quite risky, considering the fact I don't allow family in.

Of course, I do want people to see my set-up, but, that can be done via pictures (like mentioned) or from outside the rabbitry with gate inbetween buyers and rabbits.

Like Cathy said, RVHD is one of the reasons why breeders don't allow buyers into their rabbitry. Even if there's one bunny with it, all other rabbits must be euthanized. Once again, I would ratherrisk losing a sale to a buyer who wanted inside my rabbitry, than risk losing my entire herd because the said buyer gave them RVHD.

Really, the reasons why buyers aren't allowed in do make up for the risks that come with allowing them in.

Emily

ETA: Grammar

I understand the fear of rabbits contacting something from an outside person possibly carrying something in. I like the gate idea-keeps your rabbits safe but the buyer can also see the rabbitry and maybe the breeder, him or herself, could bring the parents nearer so the buyer could see them at a closer view w/o touching.
That is a wonderful way to keep it good for both buyer and seller.
I'm sorry Emily. I didn't know I said that the breeders here were bad. I thought I had said that above. I wanted to ask the questions I have had here because there are less than honest and less than 'good' breeders out in the world. I asked here so I could get answers from breeders that I do believe care about the rabbits so we could all see that there are breeders out there that do care and are concerned about the welfare of their rabbits.
I don't have anything against good breeders, nothing at all. I had nothing against any breeders here and never started asking questions to drill or anger anyone. I would think breeders would be glad to share how they run their rabbitry here and be proud to show off (in a sense) their rabbitry. I know I would be so very proud of my rabbitry and my accomplishments.

We all work VERY hard for the benefit of our rabbits. And we are all proud of anything we have accomplished. A lot of what we know and practice is from personal experience. And our reputation is very important to us. For someone to make a blanket statement that they wouldn't buy one of our rabbits because we won't show you our barn... well, that kind of hurts. You are judging our rabbits, not on their assets or based on what you are looking for, but on our efforts to care for the rabbits.

There are legitimate reasons to keep people away from my barn. I do let people I know around them. I want them to be used to motion and voices. I don't want them to be prone to panic. (I even let one of my dogs in there...) But I want those experiences to be under my control.

(Ever see a curious 4 year old poke out the eye of a baby bunny with a piece of straw, because he wanted to see it hop? Not something I ever care to deal with again! And I know I can simply ban kids...But then I've had some pretty stupid adults here too. It only takes a split second for someone to do something stupid... they leave, and you have to deal with the problem, vet bills, euthanasia, whatever.)

Please give the breeders a chance to do the right thing.

I have to say that I do let buyers into my barn to see the herd and conditions they are in though the rabbits they have come to look for are either out in another seperate area or just as you walk into the barn, in a carrier, and right beside the table to deciding which they would like. If they change their mind on what they would like I will go to grab another rabbit if I have one- they do not go walking through the barn. I want them to see the conditions in my barn. If they have not taken the time to look through my website at the pictures and see my animals at a show then that is their own problem.

I always have pictures of my rabbits and they can see the cleanliness from the door- we're not hiding anything but I don't know where they come from.. they don't have a sign on their forehead that says"my rabbits are a mess" and you learn not to trust anybody.

BlueGiants wrote:
We all work VERY hard for the benefit of our rabbits. And we are all proud of anything we have accomplished. A lot of what we know and practice is from personal experience. And our reputation is very important to us. For someone to make a blanket statement that they wouldn't buy one of our rabbits because we won't show you our barn... well, that kind of hurts. You are judging our rabbits, not on their assets or based on what you are looking for, but on our efforts to care for the rabbits.

There are legitimate reasons to keep people away from my barn. I do let people I know around them. I want them to be used to motion and voices. I don't want them to be prone to panic. (I even let one of my dogs in there...) But I want those experiences to be under my control.

(Ever see a curious 4 year old poke out the eye of a baby bunny with a piece of straw, because he wanted to see it hop? Not something I ever care to deal with again! And I know I can simply ban kids...But then I've had some pretty stupid adults here too. It only takes a split second for someone to do something stupid... they leave, and you have to deal with the problem, vet bills, euthanasia, whatever.)

Please give the breeders a chance to do the right thing.

Wow! Cathy, I love what you wrote. This sums up what I try to tell "pet" people.

Sharon

I apologize, thought the hand sanitizer thing would help. As far as my being insulting because I said I would not buy from someone who did not let me see the parents- Sorry, my perogative. I didn't say I had to have a hands on look but I, personally, want to see them. I want to know they are in good condition and healthy, that they don't have any problems. If this offends, I'm sorry but it is MY choice. I didn't say everyone had to have the same thoughts/feelings/opinions as I do. This is just the way I feel. Adding a rabbit (or any pet) to me is a lifetime commitment and I want to know for certain that when I purchase my new family member that I am getting exactly what I want. Is that so bad? I have always considered that being responsible.
I'm uneducated... I'm too opinionated... I, somehow, am being disrespectful and putting others down.. I apologize for all these things. You don't have to point the finger at me or say my name. I am not so uneducated that I can't read between the lines. Thanks.

BlueGiants wrote:
Just as I won't sell to everyone that asks, you don't have to buy from everyone that offers... it's your prerogative, and mine.

I like this statement.

Latest posts

Back