Rabbitry Site Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
So I have offered to build a site for my little brother's rabbits he is breeding. He is getting two new breeds, and adding to one, on the 24th, and my parents feel it is time to move up to a website. For the moment it will be a free hosting site, but they will upgrade it later. I do have a few questions though about what I need to add and how to do it.

So far we have come up with this:

Main pages: About Him (Caleb), His Rabbitry and memberships, Breeds he Raises, Shows/Results, Nest Box, and For sale

What we are thinking about adding: Rabbit Care, Policies, Up coming littlers/pairings, Buck/Doe Pages, and pedigrees

How does this sound? Am I leaving out any major points that should be on the site?

Do most people list full pedigrees (if the rabbit has one)?

What is the easiest free hosting site to use, that looks the best?

How does he name his Rabbitry?

Any help or advice is great, thanks ahead of time!

Your website is, quite literally, your domain. Most people want to see the about page, pictures of your stock, show results and that kind of thing. The information you post is really up to you- you can link to breed websites for more information.

In website design you need to focus on professionalism- flaming text, streamers, sparkly flashy things... just don't cut it. Make sure to check your spelling and have friends edit for you.

As to the pedigrees- I think evans might have something where you can put the pedigree on the web but honestly I've not seen it done. It takes a lot of time and space.

Which host will you be using?

I am not sure on Host yet. haha You mentioned flashy stuff. My little brother would die. He has his colors and everything picked out, and made sure to let me know he didn't want anything cutie or girly at all! He wants it to look like he is an adult and knows what he is doing, even if he is just a Freshman in high school. He is starting to take pictures of all his stock now, and wants them all listed, so when he has babies, people can look up both parents and see them before even contacting him.

He is just getting two other breeds, so the website will no go up until he has them here, the 24th, those would be his Harlies and Mini Satins. He knows more about showing then I ever hope too. He knows his stuff and takes it so seriously. He pays for all his rabbits himself even.

He does still need a really rabbitry name though, the one issue we can't seem to over come right now.

Thanks, Yes he is an ARBA member, and a few small show clubs around here too. He wanted to make sure I added his memberships to his site!

He is very very very excited about the mini satins, he is getting a nice pair of whites, Sr. doe with 3 legs, and a 6 month old buck, the doe is bred already by a buck that has legs, but not sure how many. He is also getting a pair of himis, same sit as above, haha but no legs. He is working with the breeder on getting Himis and Black showable as well. He wanted a pair of blacks this time around but the breeder didn't have any bucks he would let go, so we are waiting for upcoming litters this spring.

He is also super excited about his harlies, he wanted a hard breed to show. He is getting two does and a buck, the buck is just drop dead, the girls are ok, but can't hold anything to the buck, very NICE split face!

I would use webs.com for the host, thats what I use for both my sites, www.showbunnyrabbitry.webs.com & www.thebluebunnie.webs.com
I think your on the right track. The name of my rabbitry was one of the hardest things for me as well.
As for him being a freshman in middle school, I am only 13 (8th grade) and manage my rabbitry and website by myself.

My suggestion is not to publish pedigree's on the website. (What's to stop someone from copying a pedigree and claiming to have bred to a certain rabbit... or claiming to own a certain rabbit.) I think you leave your brotheropen to being taken advantage of...

Your brother can register a Rabbitry Name with ARBA. They will givehim a registration number and no one else can register that name. It's only $10 and it stays in effect as long as he maintains his ARBA membership.

He may want to break each breed onto seperate pages, so people don't think he's cross breeding.

Can't wait to see your new website!

I am the farthest thing from knowledgeable about this stuff but as a lay person looking at the websites I think...the more pics the better, and keeping them up to date is critical. I also like when contact info is easy to view, maybe at the top of the home page or a tab that gets me there directly. I also like when they web site has email, and what state u r located in. This is JMO good luck on the website !!!!

Thanks Giants, I was thinking about that. He doesn't have full pedigrees on all his rabbits, I think its two that are parts, but I thought if someone just wanted to they could copy it and say they got the rabbit from him or bred to one of his bucks. He will be reg. the rabbitry with ARBA, but we have to think of a name first.

Oh I know pictures are always a big deal for me! When I got my Giant Girls I hated that the lady didn't have pictures of all the rabbits, just the dad, on her website. The only reason he was on there was he had won something and it was a show picture. If I buy a rabbit, I want to make sure I see both parents, and I think if you can see them before you even contact someone, that is even better!

Also, I want to know a few more things. My parents don't want their address listed due to people showing up or just coming and getting rabbits when they are gone. So would it be ok to say that on the site, but in a nicer way?

As far as breeds, he wants like a over all breed page (that lists all the breeds he has, with like one picture) and then a link from there to his entire breeding stock for that breed. Like a page that has a list with a picture of each breed: Mini Rex, Mini Satins, and Harlies. And then under each picture have a link to his bucks and does. Does that make sence?

I am drawing up all pages on paper today, he is home for fall break, so I thought I would have him let me know exactly what he wants.

I totally agree with not putting an address, phone numberor exact location on the website. You can list state and general area (NorthEast Tenn...). You can put something like "All rabbits subject to prior sale. Please contact us(email address) for availability of any rabbit".

Your layout sound really nice.

BlueGiants wrote:
I totally agree with not putting an address, phone numberor exact location on the website. You can list state and general area (NorthEast Tenn...). You can put something like "All rabbits subject to prior sale. Please contact us (email address) for availability of any rabbit"
Yep this is what I ment... :biggrin2:

-Some TIps for his photos-

*Always take them on an overcast day out side (avoid wind)
*Don't use flash especially for satins (obvious reasons)
*Train the rabbit to pose nicely for a photo so you don't have to clamp your hand over his eyes
*Use props sparingly
*In the top or bottom corners add the rabbitry credit

Pictures make all the difference ;) check out M an' M rabbitry. Not the best design but beautiful photos that won't scare you off. (Check her articles for photography)

http://manmrabbitry.com/

May I ask what your using to code? I'm curious since I'm remodeling my site...

Thanks, we may be putting the Mini Satins on hold, new hutch hold up for him, unless I want four more rabbits at my house (no thank you). I have most of his site due, but still have pictures to work on.

Latest posts

Back