Rabbit Workshop?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalifornianKit

Reaction score
For 4-H we had a benquet showing all the 4-H projects our group does. We have horse project which shows horses, photography, cooking project, ect.

I was talking to one of the livestock show leaders and we got on the subject of rabbits. Around here, rabbits that are right for the show are hard to find. You have to drive from miles away and pay a lot to get the rabbits. I told her about how i had 4 Californian does and how i planned on breeding them to sell for the livestock shows. We talked a little bit longer and she was thrilled by the amount i knew about rabbits (not much considering how much you guys know) and asked me to make a "rabbit workshop" for people who planned on showing rabbits this year.

So now i am freaking out. Im not sure how i should present this and im not familiar enough with the californian breed standard to teach other people about it! I can understand it with my own rabbits but im not sure i could explain it completely and well enough for other people to pick winner rabbits :shock:

So if anyone could go over the californian/ meat rabbit standard with me and just kinda explain EXACTALLY how a rabbit should look against how it isnt because since im giving this presentation id like to be as thorough as possible.

Also anyone who knows how i should format this? I know i want to work with how to look for a rabbit with a good type, but i also want to go over some health stuff and handling. Anything else i could be missing?

What have i gotten myself into?! :?

I think you'll do great! Keep it simple so you don't feel overwhelmed and write an outline on what you'd like to cover.

You should be happy, it seems like a great honour to be asked to put on a workshop. :)

We have one we can go to before we get our FFA rabbits, and I think they talk about the kind/size of cage for them, where it should be kept, how much food to feed, how to handle them, clip nails, groom them and possibly how to select the pen to show- I haven't personally been, just heard about it.

Is it possible to get in contact with an ARBA judge who maybe specializes in Californians? Maybe they could go over the breed standard, and use photos if you can't meet in person.

Last night i did sit down and try to work on it. I got about 4 written pages of information for an outline. Ive got: 1) Locating a breeding with the correct info, Picking a good rabbits, I have my rabbits now what (cages, how to handle them, what how and how much to feed, and validation days), a list of DQ's, Daily handling, Getting a rabbit read to show, feeding myths and truths, and what you can do with your rabbits after the show.

I would take about the care of the rabbits and showing them. You can touch on the standard and what makes each breed unique, but you really don't need to go into too much detail as they won't really understand all of it.
You can go over the cage sizes and types, what and how much too feed, bedding and litter to use and other stuff about how to care for them properly. For showing, do preparing for the show, getting the rabbit to pose, and what goes on at a show. Going over what is needed like a carrying cage, food and water dishes and other stuff that goes with showing. Since you have some experience with that, use what works for you. Assuming that the project involves breeding, you can go over sexing, breeding and caring for the kits. If you know how to do showmanship, go over that and do it for one of your rabbits.

Bring a couple of your rabbits so you can show them, not just tell them. You can go over the standard using a rabbit and even show how one rabbit might be better in one area than another. Try to bring a buck and a doe so you can do sexing and have something to actually show as that makes it easier than trying to describe it.

Write things down. It doesn't have to be full detail, but something you can refer to if you need it. Bring a copy of the standard too.

Try not to blab on too much. It can bore your audience. Dependng on the size of the group, get them to ask questions as you go. If someone has a question about cages, they can ask it when you are talking about cages so it is a bit more relevant at the time.

Talk with the leaders to decide what the purpose of the workshop is. If it is more to give the kids an idea on what the project will be about, then you don't need to go into too much detail and should focus on the project. If it is more general rabbit care and showing, then focus on that but touch on the 4-H project stuff too. The amount of time you have is also a factor. Knowing how much time you have is a big help. You don't want to plan to talk for an hour but find out you only get 20 minutes.

Sounds like you have a very good start!

Gettng a judge to help you and possibly even particiapate will be great if you can do it.

Do you know how much time you have to put this together?

We dont breed the rabbits for the show. Usually what happens is the breeder just sells a handler 4 rabbits and lets them go to raise them and show.

I think that kind of defeats the purpose of showing since winning is determined by how well the rabbits are built and how uniform they are so i planned on having a "first come first serve" selection from my rabbits where the handler can come by and choose the rabbits they consider best. I hate that the handlers here dont have to know anything about the rabbit conformation to win these days. Thats part of showing to me.

Anyways Idoubt i could find someone close enough tocompletely describe the rabbits to me. Im trying to find a buck so maybe if the breeder im about to call has a buck for sale i can buy it and he can help me xD

Wish me luck :pray:

Latest posts

Back