rabbit won't eat any pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some pet stores do sell critical care. Here we have a pet store called Animart that sells it. best luck!

I thought i'd update everyone.
Mud started eating veges again last week. Still no pellets what so ever.
The vet didnt' seem too concerned with that though but it bugs me. We are now weaning him off the critical care since that has been his source of food for a few weeks. He eats hay and drinks water on his own but still no pellets. :?

I would be asking for a detailed dental check up. I know that bunnies have to be put under and scoped to get a proper look at their teeth. As well, I think x-rays can be help full too.

--Dawn

I agree that a dental exam is in order. This is a big deal that he went totally off his pellets and went into stasis over it and I think your vet should be concerned. You can do a preliminary dental exam without putting the bunny under anesthesia--they have a special scope that they use to open up the mouth, get the tongue out of the way, and look at the sides of the molars. It's like a tiny speculum. A full dental with being put under may also be good.

Yes, PLEASE have the vet do a dental exam! If he's reluctant, find another vet to do it. At least he should do a visual check with a scope, but I would prefer dental xrays be done also in case it's his tooth roots that are bothering him. Loki's molar spurs were very slight and it wasn't thought to be the initial problem until they saw his molar roots on the xrays. They were too long and causing a lot of soreness.

Also wanted to comment that you have a good food there. It's what the shelter uses for picky bunnies because it apparently tastes better than the Hi-Fiber Lab Diet (also Purina) that they prefer. It's not the highest fiber pellet out there, but when you're buying in large quantities and the Hi-Fiber isn't available, it's a good choice.

The vet did look at his teeth with the scope thing and said they were fine. I am assuming he knows what he is doing since I got him off the rabbit.org website. But i'll check into the dental issues when i call him to update.
Thank you everyone!

I hope your bunny is going to be fine!

With blockages, fluids are very important. Simethecone and critical care is very good to have on hand for gas buildups/blockages, and whenever your buns stops eating. I've once had to give my buns flavors pediatric electrolyte in place of water to prompt them to drink fluids.

Thought i'd update everyone. He's back to normal yay!

Ok so we called the vet Tuesday or Wednesday and made an appt for the following Monday regarding his teeth maybe to try xrays etc like you all had said but then he also said to try a different brand of pellets. So we did and he ate them ALL and has been eating them for the past 5 days. So we cancelled the appt.

But it just cracks me up how a change of pellets could make him eat now its weird. We did try the same pellets in the begining of when he was starting the whole not eating thing.

The brand we switched him to is Sweat meadow farms something along those lines and its a timothy and alfalfa blend I actually thought it was just pure timothy but it's not. Any comments regarding the food since he seems to love it?

That's weird. It makes me think that the pellets he had before were stale. I think several people here like Sweet Meadow, but it would be good to see the protein, fiber, and calcium %ages for the food. They should be on the back.

My other rabbit eats the other pellets fine, the one that mud wouldn't touch. It's weird. I'll definitely switch them over to the same thing eventually.

Back