Rabbit won’t poop even with medicine!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blumoonies

Reaction score
Hey ! Hopefully someone has experienced something like this cause I’m genuinely loss for words right now.
My rabbit hasn’t pooped since Sunday. However he is still eating, but not drinking water.
I have given Critacare, a motility medicine, and pain relief medicine, which usually works however it wasn’t doing anything. So on Tuesday I took him to the emergency vet, which they just gave him fluids and told me to keep giving him the things I was giving him until I could see a vet that specializes in rabbits.
Wednesday I dropped him off at the vet and they prescribed pain medication, a new motility med, and an antibiotic. She told me he should poop by this morning.
When he got home he once again ate some greens, I gave him some critacare so he has some water in him, and gave him medicine around 5. I gave him another dose of motility (per orders) around 12 am. It’s now almost 7 am and he still hasn’t pooped.
He’s literally like moving around like normal and snacking on his greens and hay. I’m so confused about this situation. Has anyone experienced this before?

Hi!

If he is eating and taking gut meds, but not pooping, I would be worried about a possible blockage somewhere.

Might be worth asking the vet about the possibility of a blockage, and maybe book a scan to check.

Best of luck!

Rabbits poop a lot due to their high fiber diet. But we don't tend to pay much attention until the rabbit stops pooping completely. If she doesn't poop at all, then you have a constipated rabbit.
Remove dry food from her coop and encourage more exercise. A teaspoon of olive oil can help her with her bowel movements. If that doesn't work, your veterinarian can give your rabbit a laxative or enema. In the past, petdiseasenet and I are a blog owner specializing in that disease, so we have experience in dealing with them

Latest posts

Back