Rabbit with fur problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
Hi Iris my rabbit has a bit of a fur issue, she's around a year old and she has chucks of fur coming out and her fur is layered if that makes sense, there's no flaking or crustyness or scabs and she's healthy but I'm just wondering if anyway knows if this is regular for shedding fur it is the time of the year when shedding should happen, also if this helps she is a mini Rex any help would be much appreciated.

its getting a bit cold, she might just be shedding her summer coat and growing in her winter coat.

If she's not spayed then that would explain the chunks of fur. Unspayed rabbits pull out their own fur when they're in heat and nesting.

If you brush her be very gentle. Their fur is very delicate and pulls out easily. Rabbits can usually manage their own coats very well. However, if her fur's matted or coming out when you pet her a gentle brush might help.

Does your rabbit's fur look like this black rabbit? If so, and she doesn't have any bald patches, she's probably just going through a seasonal molt. I find plucking out the tufts is the quickest way to get rid of them and the rabbit doesn't mind, at least for a while. I pluck and also groom with a slicker brush, in short sessions as long as the rabbit will tolerate. Right now both of my bunnies are looking pretty "tufty".

2016-09-09 18.09.09.jpg

'Right now both of my bunnies are looking pretty "tufty". '
That is one shaggy bun there BR. Mine looks just like him. :)

I do try to feed some oats and gently pull some tufts while doing so. Generally the middle of his back and down to his but tis the area he sortof, neglects. :) I have tried wiping him down with a damp paper towel but it doesn't seem to do much more than a good plucking session.

'Right now both of my bunnies are looking pretty "tufty". '
That is one shaggy bun there BR. Mine looks just like him. :)

I do try to feed some oats and gently pull some tufts while doing so. Generally the middle of his back and down to his but tis the area he sortof, neglects. :) I have tried wiping him down with a damp paper towel but it doesn't seem to do much more than a good plucking session.

I suspect Zelda may have some lionhead or angora in her background. Normally her fur is pretty smooth and glossy. That pic was taken AFTER I had just finished a plucking session with her. She only tolerates brushing or plucking for a few minutes before she shakes her head and hops away. So, getting it under control is a process that takes a few days' worth of sessions. I alternate between using a flea comb, a slicker brush and a stripping loop (looks like a saw blade bent into a loop with a handle). Often when she gets tired of being plucked I can switch to one of the brushes for a bit before she gets fed up and leaves. The pile of hair that results is bigger than Zelda is.

Thanx everyone yeah Iris kinda like like the black rabbit in the pic so I'll just let her be and brush her out a bit and Iris dosent have any bald parches or scabs or flaking...

Back