Rabbit transportation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James2614

Reaction score
Hey everyone. We are getting our rabbits spayed on Friday. The vets is around 20 minutes away. What's the best way to transport them in there and back? We don't have a box or anything so whatever is suggested will be fine as we will need to buy everything,

James

I don't recommend a cardboard box, they can chew their way out of it pretty quick. Get a plastic car carrier or similar, if you have a bonded pair, get a carrier that they can travel in together, if they're not bonded yet it's better to have them in separate carriers. You can put a fleece blanket in with them for comfort.

I thought of something along those lines. They've lived together since we got them 6 months ago so will be fine together and hopefully it'll keep them a little more relaxed. Thanks for your help as always

James

Seems I wrote "car carrier" but it was meant to say cat carrier, I think you still knew what I meant :p

I actually used a cardboard box that was taller than my bun so he couldn't chew his way out too easily, it worked really well. Just be sure to line the box with a towel or something soft and clean. Also, I didn't put the box down at all while in the waiting room...not until me and bun bun were safely away from dogs and other animals that could potentially frighten my bun. I'm a total mama bear when it comes to my bun and he loathes dogs and people strangers so I kept him safely in my arms during the vet visit and put him in the holding cage when it was time to part ways for the day.

I bought a reasonably priced cat carrier and got a pink cushion mat for the bottom of mine so my bunny would be comfy! (It's also good in case the rabbits pee or something - gross, but it'll soak up the urine instead of it pooling everywhere. Then you can just throw the cushion mat in the washer/dryer when you get home) :bunnyheart:

Mine only has one opening/door, but you could try looking for a cat carrier that has a second opening on the top side too. That could prove useful if your bunnies end up getting feisty when trying to get them out of the carrier. Helped a lot for when my late cat was being stubborn!
If you're hoping to bring both rabbits to the vet at the same time but don't want separate carriers, you could look for a dog carrier? Something big enough for the two of them to fit comfortably.

A cardboard box or cardboard carrier will work in a pinch but isn't ideal.
My favorite carriers have doors on the front and on the top so you can lift them in/out or let them come in/out on their own.

This is the one I have which is plenty big for two small rabbits. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062JFGM0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back