Rabbit Toys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
My bun never had toys to play with. Since I'm building him his own enclosure, I want him to have toys for him to play with. The ones at Petsmart are too expensive. What are some bun-friendly (and cheap)things that Katmai can play with?

Mine like toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay too, well Evie and the guinea pigs do, Leon doesn't! Evie will throw it around :)

Also scrunched up pieces of newspaper, cardboard boxes they can go inside and then knock over and destroy! Anything they can throw around and be destructive with!

Exactly what the others mention, home available/made toys. Also just found this link that may be of interest.

Sox loves those cat balls with a bell in it. She loves to throw them around with her mouth listening to the bell. Doesn't seem to like the other small balls.

She also loves her little white bunny and doggy toy; must think it's her partner!

She also loves to dig and seems to dig all her litter and hay out of the litter box! ... and I keep tidying it all up! :shock:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080329121725AAQec6j

Yeah, this is the original article in that link, courtesy of [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]by Michelle Wilhelms, San Diego HRS chapter manager, just to make sure she's credited.

Here's the original link...

http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/behavior/toys.html

[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Adventures in Toyland[/font]

[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Do rabbits like to play? Of course they do! Do rabbits need mental stimulation and exercise? Absolutely! A bored, unstimulated rabbit can become destructive, aggressive, overweight or depressed. [/font] [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]
Rabbits can be playful and energetic and can be quite goofy to watch at play. Haven't you seen you rabbit get a sudden burst of energy and go flying through the house, twisting and turning all the while? This dance is one of the many ways rabbits play.
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Observe what your rabbit likes to do
Allow your rabbit a lot of playtime and let him to do what comes naturally: chew, dig, toss, shred, bunch or burrow. Some rabbits will never chew, but they love to toss things around; others are dedicated diggers. By observing and interacting with your rabbit, you can capitalize on his entertainment preferences.
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Experiment with different toys. If at first Bun isn't sure why you have given him these new, odd-looking objects, gently toss the new toy toward him or actually put him in the play box. With appropriate toys, Bun can fulfill his needs without getting himself into trouble. Besides, bunnies are so cute when they are intent upon something.
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Provide different toys
The following list of well-tested rabbit toys will help you provide a lifetime of fun and stimulation for your rabbit. Bun will thank you with many leaps and bounds.
[/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Cardboard box filled with hay. Cut two little holes in opposite sides and Bun will generally chew on the hole areas to make them bigger and then jump in and ply and dig, or simply destroy the box. Oh well, that's what it's for.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Plain paper bag, on its side. Grocery bags are great for this. Add some hay inside as an extra enticement to enter.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Large cardboard concrete forms from the hardware store. These tubes resemble a burrow and Bun will love to dig in, sleep in and run through them.Put one end of the cardboard form into a box and Bun can run up the tube and land in the box.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Untreated wicker baskets are good chew toys. Fill will hay, pine cones, phone books, toilet paper rolls or other chewable items.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Plain, untreated, woven-straw paper-plate holders are also excellent chewing toys.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Toilet paper or paper towel cardboard rolls. Fill with hay so it's sticking out the ends, or serve up a la carte as objects to nibble. Round, empty oatmeal containers are also fun to push around and chew. Ever-popular, plentiful and economical.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Cardboard cat condos, available at many pet supply stores, provide climbing and chewing entertainment. These inexpensive items have many levels from which Bun can enjoy the view of the household. The Little Tykes gym from Toys-R-Us is the same concept as the cat condo, but made out of hard plastic and designed for children. This gym is good for backyard play if your rabbit has supervised time outside. People have even been known to put this climbing apparatus in their home. Now that's dedication!
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Sea grass mats, untreated, from Pier 1 or Cost Plus Imports are meant for floor covering, but rabbits love to chew on them. Available in individual squares or sewn together in larger pieces. [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Towels in the cage or a box are irresistible to the dedicated rearranger; she will love to push and pull the cloth.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Some cat and baby toys are also good for rabbits. Hard plastic baby toys, such as rattles and plastic keys, and plastic cat toys, such as one-inch barrels with a bell inside, are great toss toys because Bun can grip these with his front teeth and fling them. (Yes, it is normal for Bun to continually throw these directly into his water bowl!) The larger metal cat ball is also a good toss toy. Large parrot toys that hang from the top of Bun's cage are good for making noise and bumping into.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]A canning jar ring is good for tossing. Just be sure the ring is either way too small for your rabbit to get his head stuck in it, or way too big to strangle Bun.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Newspapers secured under a table leg will provide hours of tugging and shredding fun. Old phone books are also favorites to shred. Don't worry if you can't account for all the paper later. The paper itself is cellulose and digestible; and modern printing inks are made from soybeans, not petroleum products, so they are not poisonous in these small quantities.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Stairs are an excellent physical workout for Bun. Make at least several steps available to your rabbit? They love to run up and down stairs. Use a baby-gate to seal off the area at the end of the stairs where you don't want them to go. Being ground/underground dwellers, rabbits generally have an innate fear of heights (just watch their eyes go wide when you hold them high up), so they aren't likely to crawl through stair rails and take a dangerous leap to the floor far below.
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Ramps up to another level (the sofa or upper level of the cat condo) can be fun. Keep the incline less than about 30 degrees and cover the ramp with a piece of carpet for better traction.
    [/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Move the toys around [/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Keep Bun amused and involved by rearranging his toys--offer them in different places, stack them, move them around. He may see the items in a different light, trying out some toys that previously had not interested him. And your moving things around may prompt a fit of orderliness in the rabbit who thought things were arranged just right beforehand.
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Words of caution
When experimenting with toys for your rabbit, make sure Bun cannot swallow and choke on parts of the toy. Beware of rubber items, and parts that could fall off or be gnawed off and ingested. Cloth items, such as dish rags or fabric pieces, could potentially cause harm if Bun swallows the hard-to-digest threads. Plenty of fresh hay is a big help in moving anything eaten through Bun's digestive system. Finally, be sure any chew holes are big enough the Bun cannot get his head stuck-- panic and struggling to get free could lead to strangulation.
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Let the games begin
Be creative, be careful, have fun! Take your cues from what your rabbit likes to do and be sure to give plenty of free-roam time to flex his muscles in his favorite ways. Remember, besides being fun, playtime also provides valuable, healthy exercise and mental stimulation.
[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]by Michelle Wilhelms

San Diego HRS chapter manager
[/font]

My rabbits really like a variety of plastic toys, like baby/toddler toys & bird toys. I also give them little stuffed animals (with no buttons or small hard plastic). I found most of these toys from the thrift store for pennies to a few dollars each!

4432187947_5b7241a2c9.jpg

I think the pine cones are to be baked, before giving to the buns. One method is to spread pinecones ona foil lined cookie sheet and place in 200 degree, or lower temperature oven until all the cones have opened. They should also be free of pesticides or herbicides.

with solara, i bought shredded brown paper from target, and put it all in a cardboard box (that had no top, and indents in the side so she can easily get in) and she has a blast with it! especially when i wave the paper in her face XD

she didn't seem to like round cat balls with bells in them but she seemed to like these:
8592.jpg

(the one on the right)

i think she preferred those because you can grip them easier. she tosses them everywhere. so i'd buy those instead of the round ones if you plan on getting any x)
(i wish i knew that before i bought some expensive round ones at the store.)

XD my bun also loves just plain toilet paper rolls. try putting a paper bag- like for lunches, and stuffing it with hay. i saw that at the humane society and i tried it with solara. she shredded it XD

:)

hope that was of some help XD

Pipp wrote:
Yeah, this is the original article in that link, courtesy of [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]by Michelle Wilhelms, San Diego HRS chapter manager, just to make sure she's credited. [/font]
Yeah, sorry about that I am new to the forumsethicsand don't think of these things. I'll know in future.

Latest posts

Back