Rabbit throwing his head back & forth ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamineja47

Reaction score
I have a male mini lop, he’s 8 months old. Sometimes he does this thing when he’s playing (specifically when he has a toy in his mouth) and he throws his head back/upwards for a few secs and then brings it back down and he does it a few times, then he nibbles the object, then does puts his head up/back and forth again a few times.

I can’t find ANY info about this. I know it’s not head tilt and I highly doubt that it’s a seizure. It’s ONLY when he has a toy in his mouth and he’s playing with it (usually pieces of cardboard/paper toys that i make for him).

It worries me because it looks like he can’t help it when he does it, and it just looks really strange. He usually is running and then stops to do it, and then does some binkies and then stops to do it again. He doesn’t look like he’s in pain or discomfort he kinda looks like he’s playing. But then it also kinda looks like he has tourettes (tics) or something too.

Tried to describe as best as I could. This won’t let me upload my video. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? Please let me know any related info :)

There are a few possibilities that I can think it might be. It could be a head binky, like SirLawrence mentioned. It's just a way rabbits show they're excited or happy about something. Slight possibility it could be the thing rabbits do when they're investigating something new, especially a new space. They'll bob their head up and down as they move forward to kind of visualize and sniff out the new area cautiously. Or he could be trying to toss or manipulate his toy in some way, if it's in his mouth when he does this.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/did-you-say-binky/
A video definitely would help narrow down which it is. If you upload to a site such as youtube, then post the link here, that's usually the best way to share videos on here.

I have a male mini lop, he’s 8 months old. Sometimes he does this thing when he’s playing (specifically when he has a toy in his mouth) and he throws his head back/upwards for a few secs and then brings it back down and he does it a few times, then he nibbles the object, then does puts his head up/back and forth again a few times.

I can’t find ANY info about this. I know it’s not head tilt and I highly doubt that it’s a seizure. It’s ONLY when he has a toy in his mouth and he’s playing with it (usually pieces of cardboard/paper toys that i make for him).

It worries me because it looks like he can’t help it when he does it, and it just looks really strange. He usually is running and then stops to do it, and then does some binkies and then stops to do it again. He doesn’t look like he’s in pain or discomfort he kinda looks like he’s playing. But then it also kinda looks like he has tourettes (tics) or something too.

Tried to describe as best as I could. This won’t let me upload my video. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? Please let me know any related info :)
It sounds to me that it is just a activity that he does while he is playing a lot of mother rabbits actually throw their head back like that when they're pulling a nest and packing their nest they put their head up for a couple quick seconds and then back down I have three mothers that do that actually I don't know if maybe it is just a motion that he developed and likes to do it he could be trying to pick the toy up for their off of the ground but it doesn't sound like it's anything to threatening if he is only doing it while he is playing it sounds more like a habit.

Back