Rabbit Suitable Herbs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinksalamander

Reaction score
Are there any herbs i can plant in my garden that are suitable for rabbits to eat? I'm replanting the rockery and it would be nice to plant something edible. We are planning a small veggie patch but not until next year...

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

My guys love herbs! The ones I planted didn't do too well though. Definitely plant mint, it's easy to grow and the bunnies love it! I tried to plant some flat leaf/curly parsley but they died. Those are the only ones I attempted this year! Put the mint in the pot or it will gladly take over everything hehe.

For veggies, this year the only thing that grew other than swiss chard (which is still tiny and will probably get eaten by the wild bunnies) are the radishes. They've grown HUGE and the rabbits LOVE the tops of them! Yummy!

pinksalamander wrote:
Are there any herbs i can plant in my garden that are suitable for rabbits to eat? I'm replanting the rockery and it would be nice to plant something edible. We are planning a small veggie patch but not until next year...

hay Fran:

Unfortenately, I have no advise here, about the herbs, and I don't have a "green thumP" either, LOL.

But its a great idea to plant your own herbs, no pesticides here, and you know, what you have :)

Have you ever heard about a herb named "palek"???

Its a dry herb. I was wondering if that would be safe for a bunny rabbit???

*GOOD LUCK* with your herb garden...

xx

I'm not sure about Palek, it's a 'curry' leaf isn't it? I've seen it around here, but never sure if it's safe or not so haven't tried it...

All the herbs that I know are ok for bunnies are mint, parsley, corriander, basil, sage, marjoram, dill. Maybe more that I'm not sure of....

I'm not sure about Rosemary or Thyme, although I think I have seen rosemary on a 'safe' list somewhere before, just can't remember where. I know that Steve once fed it to Mouse and Chalk before, thinking it was Basil (?????!!!! SERIOUSLY, MEN!!!!:shock:), with no ill effects, and we did look it up after I noticed what he'd done.

For a rockery, I would imagine that 'hard' herbs such as rosemary, sage, marjoram and thyme would grow better than the herbs with the softer leaves such as parsley, corriander, basil, mint and dill etc. Although my mum did grow mint in the garden next to the rosemary for years and it grew great! I am not very expert though so can't say for sure!

You can grow basil, corriander and parsely from seeds though in pots farily easily, just need some compost and watering regularly, I planted mine 3 weeks ago and they're coming up great now! :)

Edit: I also have 2 of those Basil plants that you buy in supermarkets, they were 69p, on my windowledge in the kitchen and they just keep on growing and growing as long as they get sun and water! :D

Good grief. I just was searching in our library and most of the links are unavailable now or don't work any longer:?.

Anywho, I did find this list of herbs that are safe from a post that Naturestee did.

Lamiaceae- Mints
Basil
Lavender
Lemon Balm
Marjoram
Mint
Oregano
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sage
Savory
Thyme

I found this post:

Lavender
Common Lavender - or - Narrow leaved Lavender - or - Lavender Spike (Lavendula augustfolia)
"Lavender is not to be used lightly or frivously in breeding stock. It has a direct effect upon the uterus in helping to expel the contents, dead or alive, as well as being a diuretic. A late birthing doe will benefit from a little Lavender in order to naturally speed the process and it saves using drugs. The flowers are actually a mild tranquilizer, acting upon the heart in easing blood pressure rather than acting upon the brain as an anti-stimulant. In other words, good for a stressed out rabbit. Lavender Cotton (Abrotonum foemina, Chamaecyparissus) is a specific medicine for internal worms, and also assists the kidneys in cleansing and breaking up of stones. It also helps reduce swellings if applied outwardly, and is generally good taken internally for the liver, chest and uterus." Judy

...here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-46015.html

Just found it interesting! I've always thought lavender was a no-no and I have heaps growing, will see if my bunnies like it.

Thats brill! I am planning to grow lavender, sage, mint, thyme and rosemary so all of that is absolutley brilliant!

Also does anyone know if this can make up a main diet? Like i will still feed green veg but can these kind of herbs be given daily? I might grow parsley in pots can this be fed everyday? I'm finding it difficult to get to the supermarket every other day to buy veg, it goes yucky too quick.

I also bought a 'living salad' today, which has baby pak choi, red chard, tatsoi and golden streaks in it. Are all these safe? It was only £1 and i figured it will stay much fresher than other salad, even if it only grows enough to last me a week it is still more cost effective than buying a 99p bag of kale which goes gross in 3 days.

Flowers aren't any good are they? I'm growing geraniums and fuschias, they're probably poisonous or not good?

Are all mints safe? I have tons - lemon, chocolate, pepermint (i'd have to look at them all)

I grow Comfrey, Mint and Parsley all around the barn for the rabbits. No worries about pesticidesor chemicals.

I use mint when I wean alitter. It helps dry up the doe. It is also good for loose stool.There is a site that lists herbs for rabbits and what they are good for. I will look for it

Back