Rabbit stopped using litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
Hello

Chernish stopped using his litter box and goes to the washroom on the bottom of his cage. The bottom is wire.

Why would he start avoiding his litter box?

No, everything is the same. Same bunny food.

My husband saw him doing his stuff on the floor of the cage and the litter box is stays clean after we clean it.

You might wanna try saving a couple poops to putback in the litter box after it's clean. If you do too well a job itstops smelling like a litter box so your bun may get confused.

Maybe the wire is hurting his feet and he usesthe litter box to rest in. Maybe that's why he wants to keepit clean. Does he have anything else to rest on?

Laura

MooShu just started doing the same thing for no apparent reason.

She was doing so well and then a couple of weeks ago she started to poop in a new corner. She still pees in her litter pan.

I tried moving the litter pan to the new corner and she went back tothe old corner to poop.... AND PEE :shock:!!. I put the pan back inshort order.

She has a blankie and a sleepie box so she does have places to get offthe wire bottom. I haven't been able to figure it out, but as long asshe's still peeing in her litter pan I'm okay.

She has not be using her sleepie box as much. I think we'll try cleaning it and see if that helps at all.

~Jim

He has a cardboard box in his cage. Also hiscage is always open and during the day he goes to sleep in his carrier.At night he hangs out on the floor so I don't think that wire wouldbother him.

He is 2.5 years old approximately and is not neutered. He was doing great before.

Is just for couple of days he started doing this.

How well do you clean the rest of hiscage? Maybe you cleaned it too well and he doesn't smellhimself in it so he is remarking his home. Just a thought.

Mine do the same thing now and then. They'll bevery good about using the box, then all of a sudden decide they'reabove it or something and stop using it. Then they'll go back to usingit.

We can't figure it out and just have learned to deal with their wacky behavior.

You could try putting in an extra litter box fora while and then weaning him off of it. It's worked forfosters before... Another foster home for the MCRS aroundhere has a bunny who just refuses to be litterbox trained! Hehas 5 litter boxes in his cage and sometime he still finds a way towiggle between them and pee on the floor! Silly bunnies.

The problem is the place he decided to use forthe washroom is in the middle of the cage right next to his litter box.He pee on the floor as well. He refuses to go into the litter box.

I can't put litter boxin the middle of the cagesince he will start moving it around and make noise.

You know, Anna, our rabbits are doing the exact same thing! They go right next to the darn box, but of course not in it.

I think they're telling us they don't like the second corner box we recently put in there or something.

Back