Rabbit stinks because she eats her soft poops...!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babytired

Reaction score
SOS... my young 2 months old bunny stinks so badly :tears2: and she smells like her cecals... i only feed her oaten hay and a lil pellets at the moment but she still has plenty of cecals... please give me some advices because she loves to lick my nose and her breath makes me feel sick... :tears2:

Hey there. Welcome to RO.
Just curious - have you taken your bunny to the vet for a baseline check up?
Weird unpleasant smell, with sticky little poops reminds me of when I first got my 7 week old bunny from a pet store. He had a parasite (coccidia) which can cause sticky poo, smells kind of funny.
How sure are you that the poop you see are cecals?

i bought her 2 weeks ago and i took her to the vet. Everything was absolutely normal and she is very health. but just few days ago i noticed a funny smell, i looked and fought a lot of cecals in the litter tray ( look like tiny grapes stick together). i know for sure she ate the cecals because her mouth stinks like... :tears2: i used dry bath powder for bunny to brush her... she smells nice everywhere else but her mouth.... what should i do?
P.s: infor about my bunny
I live in melb, vic, Australia
my bunny is a mini lop
2 months old.
Never been sick before
She lives indoor but play outside in her play pen at day time.

babytired wrote:
but just few days ago i noticed a funny smell, i looked and fought a lot of cecals in the litter tray ( look like tiny grapes stick together). i know for sure she ate the cecals because her mouth stinks like... :tears2: i used dry bath powder for bunny to brush her....
They are suppose to eat those. It's good for them/

babytired wrote:
i bought her 2 weeks ago and i took her to the vet. Everything was absolutely normal and she is very health.
Did the vet take a sample of her poop and examine it? That is how they found out my bun had parasites. Although for my bun, his body smelled weird, it wasn't so much his breath or mouth, although he wouldn't let me near there much, so who knows.

Just throwing it out there as a possibility. I hope that is not it.

i put her in the kitchen area last night and this morning the whole kitchen floor was filled with poops. all of them were dried and normal looking and there were around 6 grapes shape poops. Maybe i should bring her to the dr tmr.
My bunny diet is morning: hay and pellets. Afternoon a tiny cube of apple or carrot, celery/ pasley/ silver beet. Evening : hay

The grape like poops are normal and they smell bad ; sometimes bunnies do not eat them all because they produce too many

make sure your rabbit gets a lot offresh hay..

if his breathe continues to smell odd or different all the time that would reflect another possible medical issue

butI don't think that is what you are describing :?
I have never noticed a smell on my rabbit but only the smell of the excess cecals

So you need to differentiate whether the poops near your rabbit smell bad or your rabbit smells bad..
if it is the latter maybe would be best to get it checked out as it possibly could be a problem like Kirbyultra pointed out earlier

My guys smell like marking poops--they have the ability to add smelly stuff to their poos and they do this to mark their territory with extra-smelly poops. At leas that's my experience. Tony and Muffin really like to do this in the part of their area that borders the other bunnies' area. Their butts smell like this and you can notice it when they crawl on you. Sometimes cleaning scent glands makes it better. At her age, though, I would be more inclined to suspect parasites like kirbyultra said. It's also possible she isn't eating all her cecal poos which is ok at her age. She should have unlimited grass hay and unlimited alfalfa pellets at her age.

Latest posts

Back