Rabbit specific rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealy

Reaction score
Here's how it started:
Some of you may remember that all but 1 of my Buns are rescues. I had been tossing the idea around of getting even more involved in rescuing, but hadn't committed to anything yet.

One of my friends that works at our local Rescue League and I have spent many hours on the phone, ending up with me rabbit educating her..haha.
I mentioned I would like to do more, but wasn't sure exactly where to start or what to do. She said she would make my name and # available at the shelter when rabbits come in and start there.
A couple of months ago I called the other major rescue here to ask about spay/neuter programs for rabbits, if they were available here in MS. The lady and I ended up an hour on the phone, which I somehow turned into a rabbit education conversation as well.
Now, it so seems I have been designated the 'Rabbit Rescuer'. Last week, the first place referred a woman who needed to surrender her Bun to me. I picked that one up.
Yesterday, I got another call from a surrendering owner who got my name & number from the other rescue place. I picked this little Loppy guy up today.
I have promised to keep these two rabbits. As much as I would love to keep them all, * future rescue rabbits* I can't . However, I don't want to turn them away :/
I am in a delemia as what to do. I would so love to start a rabbit specific rescue here ( there aren't any ; closest is Alabama EARS) At this point and time, I can't do anything on a large scale but I want to do something.
I have been doing a little research on starting a rescue..wow, there is alot to it. Finances, space, zoning laws etc would all have to be considered Can it even be done on a small scale at first? Thanks to Gentle Giants ( Myra) she has shared her experience :D
Should I even try or call the rescues and tell them to take my name off the list OR maybe just foster? ( these rescues usually just give rabbits away to the zoo or whomever when they get any)
How could I advertise to find more rabbit minded people here in my area? There has to be some! ( Besides breeders etc)
Such a hard decision.
I would love to hear pros, cons, advice, yays or nays...anything.

Thanks!

~Sealy

Something I didn't think to tell you in my pm-trying to stay small scale is hard, and will probably mean turning some away. I have leared in my short time doing this that once your name gets out, especially in an area like mine where there aren't any rabbit rescues closer than three hours, it seems like in no time everyone is going, "hey, there is that one lady that takes rabbits, call her!" I had no idea that my local dog and cat shelter had my number until they called me with four that needed a place to go. Still don't know how they got my number, actually.......

Thatr's similar to what has happened to me. Just kinda 'thrown ' into it. I meant what i said about getting more involved but I wasn't expecting to become 'THE ONE' haha.
Tis why I didn't actually commit to something before now, because once I commit, I commit, no turning back for me unless some emergency etc.
This would give whole new meaning to the phrase' Old Crazy Bunny Lady' :biggrin2:

i dont think it is possible to keep this on a small scale, because also you will probablly be waking up to bunnies on your door step at times,lol.

i was thinking that you just take in one or two at a time, but that means being able to say No to others, which will be ssssooooooo hard. my guinea pig rescue lady said she started with just one or two at a time and then a shelter called her with 4 and she could not make the decision on which one lived and which one didnt so she took all of them,lol, now 184 piggies later her small scale rescue turned into a big one.

The other thing i was thinking is try getting people willing to foster for you then take it from there.

Or you could just foster then this way you only take what you can handle, but you are still helping and that is what counts

so sorry i was of no help, but i am excited for you with whatever decision you decide

Latest posts

Back