Rabbit spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyG

Reaction score
My bunny, Nora, is 7 months old and is going toget spayed on monday. Does anyone have any advice about anything Ishould do beforehand or any tips for post op care to help her recoverwell?

I never had any girls, but when my boys wereneutered, they wanted to take out their stitches. I would be preparedto pay close attention toher behavior for a while.An elizabethan collar works well, and is kind of funny on a rabbit.

They really appreciated lots of peace and quiet afterward. I can'timagine she will want to run around much, but maybe she should berestricted from being too active until she heals a bit. Keepher comfortable and warm, and follow the vet's instructions onfood/meds. (I played soft classical music quietly for my bunnies, Ithink they liked it.)

I think it really depends on the bun, but I would suggest if she isvery bonded with you, visit her often and give her a reassuring petwithout disturbing her too much. If she is more independant,I would give her a little more space without totally isolating her.

Foremost, ask the vet about any concerns for her care and what toexpect, and keep an eye on her - behavior, appetite, pottying, etc

Sami got spayed about a couple of months ago.

She had internal dissolvable stitches....this meant she couldn't pullthem out. She was a little quiet for a few days after. She sat in herfav spot most of the time and licked her wound. Poor wee thing she wassoaking! She was off her food for about 2days. I hand fed her hay,broccoliand treats...thats all she was intersted in, wouldn'ttouch her mix. It's a bit upsetting to see them like that but she willbe ok. Just be prepared for that.

I kept the room nice and quiet and warm too.Keep her inside if she is an outdoor bunny. (this is what my vet told us)

When we brought her home and opened the carry box she bounded into the cage all by herself...she wasnt that fragile!

The vet should give u care instructions. Oh, make sure u feed her rightt up untill she goes in. Don't starve her.

hope everything goes well

-Gillian

This is what it says on my vets website about post-op care:

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Rabbit Ovariohysterectomy/Spay[/align]

[align=center][/align]
Ovariohysterectomy or Spay means thatunder general anaesthetic your rabbit has had her ovaries and uterus(or womb) removed. This operation is performed to prevent seasons andpregnancies.

Aftercare: Your rabbit can be fed his/hernormal diet on retuning home, including fresh water. Broccoli, hay,greenstuffs (dandelion) and hand picked grass can be fed adlib.

The hutch should be in a dry, draught free area, and insulated in thewinter months. It is also advisable to use a good quality hay or strawbedding to allow your rabbitto feel both secure and warm.

On returning home it is sometimesnecessary to keep your rabbit in the house until the morning to preventa dramatic change in temperature which can prolong the recovery timefor you pet.

Additional information: If your rabbit isnot eating by the following day please contact thesurgery.

Shuu wrote:

HI Katy ....I noticed you have only made a few posts so you may not know about the search function that Shuu is refering to ...

...if you look at the top of your screen you should see asearch box to the right of blackberry bunny and to the left of a buttonthat says "my account" ...its best to type in justkey wordsfor whatever you are searching for...and then just hit search and youwill come up with a wealth of information!

Latest posts

Back