rabbit spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right after I typed that message I went an started petting her and talking to her and she ate a few pieces of parsley . When she started eating them I got more and dipped them In water for Her to eat. This is a great sign right!? So happy!

That's a long time to go without eating, so it's great that she's started nibbling. Keep pushing food in her face as often as you can :p Sometimes when Bandit has had an upset tummy, he won't eat on his own but if I'm there poking food at his mouth he'll (reluctantly) eat it. So yes, it's great news, but just make sure her appetite increases and she's getting more and more food in her. If she stops eating again, I would recommend a return vet visit.

That's a long time to go without eating, so it's great that she's started nibbling. Keep pushing food in her face as often as you can :p Sometimes when Bandit has had an upset tummy, he won't eat on his own but if I'm there poking food at his mouth he'll (reluctantly) eat it. So yes, it's great news, but just make sure her appetite increases and she's getting more and more food in her. If she stops eating again, I would recommend a return vet visit.

She nibbled on some wet kale and hay for a bit. She just doesn't look like she feels well and I'm probably just overreacting to normal symptoms .

Ok. First, keep her hydrated and don't worry too much about food. I think the reason why she isn't eating is because she is in pain. A rabbit spay is more invasive than a rabbit neuter. When I had Sweetie done, after I picked her up, I coaxed her to drink. When I was half way home with her she started drinking. The anesthetic dehydrates them, so they need to drink after surgery, then eat. Sweetie started eating when she got home. You may want to get pain meds from your vet, because like I said, a rabbit spay is more invasive than a rabbit neuter. She is most likely in pain from the surgery. It is great news that she is coming around.

I haven't seen her drink all day , anything she got for hydration it would have been from the greens she did eat. When do you think is good time frame to either dropper feed her water/ with a little pineapple juice ? Her surgery was performed sometime. Between 12-3 yesterday

If she is eating greens, but not much water just do what you did with the parsley. You can easily use a spray bottle to keep the veggies wet also. She's not going to want to move around much for at least 2 days. Imagine having a c-section and/or a hysterectomy and you can kind of see why she's not very happy. Plus standing on all 4 feet would just increase the pressure on the wound, so she's going to hen for a few days.

Keep pushing her to eat. Maybe put some apple juice into the water. Not much, just a little bit and see if you can get her to drink that. Maybe some apple slices, cucumbers, pellet mash...not sure what your bunnies favorites are.

Have you had a chance to look at the surgical site? I would not put any water on the surgical site unless you absolutely have to clean it. Just take a peek and make sure there is no obvious signs of infection. Every vet does the surgery a little differently so I'm sorry I can't offer an explanation of what "fine" looks like, but if you have ever gotten a infection from a cut, you know its not pretty so looks for those signs.

If you can get to the vet to get some Metacam, it would help wit her eating as well. If not, just make sure she is eating and drinking as much as you can. If you wave greens right in front of their face, they will usually get so annoyed and take a bite and then realize hey it's not half bad. If everything goes ok, you probably won't need to get Metacam on Monday, but you'll know if she's in pain.

kep12091: I would be syringing her water, as much as she will take. Remember this: hydration before nutrition. It is good that she is eating, but she needs to drink water. So it looks like you are going to have to syringe her water. If you do mix it with pineapple juice, make sure it is from a fresh pineapple and not the canned, as the canned pineapple juice has too much sugar in it. I would say to keep her hydrated and get some metacam for her pain.

Most vegetables are made primarily of water. If you absolutely can't get her to drink water, here's a website that shows certain vegetables and fruits that have a high content of water. As you can see the first vegetable is a cucumber which is 96.7% water. Iceberg lettuce which as no nutritional value is 95.6% made of water. See if your buns like any of the listed.

I would personally try to stay away from tomatoes(sugar), cauliflower(gas), star fruit (sugar), broccoli(gas), and cantaloupe(sugar) if you can get her to get something fresh and green from the list. Now if one of those are her absolute favorite drool over treat, slip her a little. She's in pain. =)

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20709014_2,00.html

Do not give your bunny iceberg lettuce, it is not okay for rabbits to have iceberg lettuce. Iceberg lettuce will cause more problems with your bunny. Plain water will work, apples have water in them. There is a safe veggie and fruit list here on the forum, go with the list that is on this forum, it should be a sticky thread.

Thanks so much everyone I appreciate the replies in my time of need! Natalie has been eating a decent amount of fresh kale dipped In water , apple slices and hay since yesterday about 4pm :) her incision site is looking great as well(as of yesterday afternoon) and I'll check it again today. She is out of her box moving around including using her litterbox and hopping around. She jumped up on her low box once (she usually jumped up on a regular day) and it doesn't appear to be hurting her so she looks like she is definitely coming around.
The one thing I have slight concern is the rims around her eyes are kind of red, is this normal due to the stuff they put on the eyes for surgery!
Thanks so much again you guys are amazing ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396785921.879022.jpg

YAY! That's great! Glad to hear she got over the hump without incident. Keep monitoring her intake and check daily to make sure the surgical site is healing nicely.

For her eyes, They usually place tape over the eyes during the surgery to keep their eyes moisturized. As soon as she starts grooming herself again, she should be able to clean her face. If it doesn't improve, place a call to the vet on Monday and see what they say.

Latest posts

Back