Rabbit spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedimplett

Reaction score
My bun got spayed yesterday and she is recovering well. She's been eating a lot :)

I was wondering how long does it take for her belly fur to grow back? I think she feels self conscious, I have such a diva on my hands. :)

Thanks in advance!

Sort of depends on the rabbit I think. It could take weeks or a few months to grow it back. It may grow back in patches and that's normal too. She'll grow it back though! Some vets shave off a lot to get a better view, some shave very little, so it varies there also.

My bun was spayed a few weeks ago now and i was surprised at how much they shaved her for a little incision! but her hair started growing back about a week later and now you can't even see the incision anymore.

Weeks to months is right. It seems to grow faster near the incision, in my experience, probably because the cells there are regenerating and hyper-active.

Thanks for the info! She isnt eating pellets yet, just cilantro and a few craisins. Is this normal?

Oh and i checked for her incision and how am i supposed to know if it swollen? i've looked for pictures on the net and cant seem to find anything.

She might be a bit off track her normal diet for a day or so due to anesthesia and pain. Make sure she's drinking and eating something, and that she's still going to the potty. I hope that the vet sent her home with pain medication to help her through the next 3 days.

The incision site may be a bit pink but should be dry and not oozing. Swelling may ok for a short period of time but should reduce as time goes by, not get worse or redder. I believe if you see it oozy or wet, it could be a sign of infection, or if the bun tore out sutures... Keep an eye on it daily for a while.

kirbyultra wrote:
She might be a bit off track her normal diet for a day or so due to anesthesia and pain. Make sure she's drinking and eating something, and that she's still going to the potty. I hope that the vet sent her home with pain medication to help her through the next 3 days.

The incision site may be a bit pink but should be dry and not oozing. Swelling may ok for a short period of time but should reduce as time goes by, not get worse or redder. I believe if you see it oozy or wet, it could be a sign of infection, or if the bun tore out sutures... Keep an eye on it daily for a while.
As soon as i posted this i caught her eating pellets and some of her hay. :) She's definately been pooping, the droppings are a bit smaller than i'm used to seeing. She's also peeing.The vet didnt send us home with meds, they didnt offer it to us.

The incision was def pink and it did look a wee bit swollen but wasn't too bad, i wasnt sure if that was normal for her. Now i have a better way to gauge. Thanks!

She's already trying to hop around and go back to normal (she tries to stretch too), poor thing. I have her cooped up in her starter cage for two weeks, then i can let her go back to her xpen.

You an ice it a little if you think that will help. We were recommended to ice Benjamin's area after his neuter--5-10 min 2x a day. Some bunnies also like a heat source for their sore areas. A hot water bottle or heating pad that she can't chew on is a good idea. I also use an old sock filled with dry rice and microwaved for a minute.

If there's infection, the incision will probably be pretty warm to the touch and have those other signs Helen mentioned.

Jessi was spayed about 3 weeks to a month ago she was spayed on the 9th of april to be exact she is still pretty bald under there.

But it is coming back in patches.

The vet told me two months at most and we should not be able to tell at all.

I had Shadow spayed on April 8, and she's still pretty bald down there. I was wondering how long it took to grow back, too. She has a fuzzy patch around where the incision was, and a few little tufts growing back her and there. They shaved a pretty large area, though. She looks so skinny without all the extra belly fluff!

Latest posts

Back