Rabbit Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfonz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Bunbun, my 4 year old Mini Rex buck is shedding soooo much. I brush him almost everyday and it seems like he's been going through a bad molting stage for almost a year now. My sister's Mini rex is less than a year and she hardly sheds, and Mallory my 1 year old Netherland/Lop mix has never gone through a shed like this. I was just wonder if just certain bunnies do this, if I should be giving a supplement, or if any of you have gone through this? thanks!!

kat.

Pebbles is a 2 year old Netherland Dwarf, and she has been shedding for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I just keep brushing too. And I vacuum everything to keep the hair away from her.

I use papaya as an everyday supplement. So far she hasn't had any problems.

Rainbows! :)

When I took in my rex, Ruby, she was in terrible condition. She was shedding clumps of fur and had a terrible coat. She was also overweight. Once she got healthy and on a high quality food and greens, she stopped shedding as much. Her molts were more periodic and "normal". Does your bunny have any other health problems? I would think that excessive shedding consistently for a year is not normal especially with rex rabbits?

He doesn't have any other serious health problems that I know of. He eats right(Oxbow pellets, plenty of greens daily, and unlimited hay), and is pretty active and happy. He isa bit overweight, and we've been struggling with it for a while. I wonder if that has anything to do with his shedding? He's due for his yearly check up soon...i'll ask the vet. Would being a chunky bunny cause shedding problems?

With mini rexes, any extra weight is really noticable, because of their short short fur. Rabbits of other breeds could be just as much overweight, but it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable because their fur would hide it well. Have you reduced his pellets? That could help dramatically :) You can give him just a little bit of petromalt every few days if you'd like... it's safe for bunnies and helps pass any ingested fur. Besides keeping HIM safe, the only advice I have is invest in a handvac :D And zoom it all up a few (or a few dozen) times a day until he stops. Perhaps seeing a vet would be a good idea, though.

Back