rabbit shedding? is this normal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitloversd

Reaction score
My male rabbit, who i have housed outside in a hutch, is shedding around his bottom area. It has recently become colder outside and I have put hay in his bed and covered his hutch with a tarp. It seems odd that he would shed now that it getting colder rather than in the spring when it gets warm. He doesnt have any patches missing or any kind of skin condition and has been eating normally. Is this something normal?

Rabbits typically shed 4 times a year - two of those are big sheds. So yes, it is normal to shed in the fall. They shed out their thin summer coat and grow in a thicker winter coat.

elrohwen wrote:
Rabbits typically shed 4 times a year - two of those are big sheds. So yes, it is normal to shed in the fall. They shed out their thin summer coat and grow in a thicker winter coat.
Yep! Completely normal.;) My Snuff is starting his molt, fun times a comin':p.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
brush his bum, and make it go a little quicker. Great bonding too.
It does accumulate there. I also get off where it is most accumulated first, then work around that. You want to get the most hair off that u can, poor things. Sometimes they are even in bad moods from molting. Snuff was just yesterday, today he's better. You'll see days when they just look horrible cuz of the molting and they just don't feel themselves.;)

Latest posts

Back