Rabbit Safe Vines

Discussion in 'Rabbit Knowledge Library' started by Taelle Far, Sep 22, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2019 #1

Taelle Far

Taelle Far

Taelle Far

I've put a dog "igloo" in my back yard to give my bunnies an extra place to hang out when they are playing outside (they love it) - but it's not very attractive. I'd like to grow a vine or trailing ground cover over the top of it, preferably to completely hide it.

Any suggestions for a vine that won't poison the rabbits, but also won't be so tasty it has no chance to grow?

2. Sep 22, 2019 #2

Niomi

Niomi

Niomi

Grape vines won't harm rabbits and are easy to grow. I have used them before when I had a place for my rabbits in the back yard. My rabbits would eat them sometimes, but they grew so fast that they were easily replaced. The problem that I had is that the vines attracted birds, which brought in tiny little ticks, a little bigger than poppy seeds, and I had to use Revolution on my rabbits to keep the parasites off. But you are in another area of the country, so hopefully you might have better luck.

3. Sep 22, 2019 #3

Taelle Far

Taelle Far

Taelle Far

I had a grape vine in another part of the yard. It's always been a problem with caterpillars. I was afraid to spray it this year because of the new bunnies though, and I think the caterpillars managed to kill it. Hoping it will come back from the roots. Grapes are a possibility, though was hoping there might be other options. My buck pretty much decimated all the leaves he could reach on the vine, so I'm not sure a young vine would survive long enough to cover the igloo.