rabbit safe toys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambrose

Reaction score
i just got a nice big cage for ambrose but thereis so much room and nothing in it for him to play with. I dont knowwhat i can put in there for him to play with thats safe for him wheni'm not around as he is and outdoor bunny and i dont watch him 24/7.Could someone plz let me know of some bunny safe toys that i can put inwith him even when i'm watching him?I see alot of you guys have shelvesin your cages do they like them?

Here's what my bunnies love:

untreated wicker baskets (for chewing pleasure)

wooden bird toys (without bells or string)

toilet paper tubes (for bonking cagemates on the head)

Coke can boxes (to run through, hide in, chew on)

hard plastic cat toys (ones they cannot easily take apart, perfect for throwing around)

the old phone book (for digging and shredding)

They are all great cheap toys and the bunnies love them, just make surethey are not eating too much of the phone book. I rotate the toys dailyso they always seem new (ex. wicker basket on Monday, phone book onTuesday . . .)

thanks! How do i know if the wicker basket isuntreated or not? Ambrose doesnt have a cagemate, i wanted to get himone but he was a yr old when i got him and he's lived alone that wholetime, i heard 2 males fight and i obvioulsy cant put him in with a girlbunny:Ddont want a million baby bunnies!i thought of a guinea pig butheard they bully them?

Have you thought about neutering him?Then you could adopt a girlfriend for him. Guinea pigs arenot good companions as rabbits can bully them or accidently hurt them.

I noticed Hobby Lobby has labels on the shelves that say what basketsand such have been treated with, if anything. You can checkthat, or ask. In general, shiny or painted baskets are bad.

Check out the Bunny 101 Toy thread for more ideas:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12433&forum_id=17

yeah i had thought about doing that i mightcheck with my vet for pricing. I'd really like him to have a friend.What if i do get him fixed but he doest like his cagemate though?Afterhe is fixed is it better for him to have a girl mate or a boy?

A spayed girl would be best for him.If you go to a shelter, you can even introduce him to several girls youlike and let him choose which one he likes. You'll need asecond cage, at least temporarily, and you'll needtointroduce them slowly in a place where neither has everbeen.

This is one of my favorite sites on bonding:

http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

And there's a lot more links and threads in the Bunny 101 Bonding thread:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Lots of us have done this, and we can help you through it.But you'll need to keep in mind that it can take some time andpatience, and that rabbits are individuals. Like us,sometimes they just don't get along.

ok thanks so much!I'll let you guys know how igo, thanks for the links too!Winter is coming and i'd feel better if iknew he had a snuggle buddy. They dont have rabbits in the sheltersaround here only cats and dogs:(I could get and older female from thepetshop though. Just one more question if the girl is spayed do i needto spay him too? thanks again!:D

You can tell if the baskets are treated normallyby their color. The untreated ones are a light tan/beige color, almostwhite. Treated baskets normally have a shiny glaze or are dark brown.You can break part of the basket and look to see if the outside coloris the same as the inside, if its not then its treated (just dont tellthe store I told you to do it :D).

During the day when no one is home, my bunny has these things to play with:

Pinecones

Old phone books

Toilet rolls

Toilet rolls stuffed with hay

Table tennis (ping pong) balls

Wooden sticks

Edit: :shock:Almost forgot the Slinky. lol

Plastic baby keys are a big hit with thebuns. They spend lots of time tossing them. Thewood paint stir sticks that home improvement stores give away for freeare great for chewing.

;)Thor loves nudging balls with herhead. Sometimes a toilet paper roll is good in the cage,too. And, sometimes she likes to snuggle up to her food bowl,and relax with her chin hanging over it. (ha ha a funnypicture!).

thanks so much guys for all the replies! I put abig ball in with him and a cardboard box with two holes in ti and alsoa baby rattle with little rings on it that i'm sure he can pick up. Sofar i dont htink he has touched them yet though. If i put a girl rabbitwho has been spayed in with him do i also need to spay him still ?

Hi Ambrose,

yeah it probably would be best to desex the boy as well because im surehe would just annoy the girl so much,well im sure you know how annoyinga un desexed boy can be around a pretty little girlbunny(wink,wink,nudge,nudge)she would probably turn around and bite himto get him off her back,literally lol.

Also have you tried seagrass mats for your bun,mine love to rip them toshreds and they are cheap as well.I got mine from bunnings for $2:00each,not bad to keep a bun happy.

ps,where in australia are you,Ambrose :)

cheryl

lol:Doh i know!i'm in vic, i might have to makea trip to bunnings i think!I'm a little scraed about another rabbit incase they dont like each other, i guess it will be wait and see!are themats safe to leave them alone with?

Hi Ambrose,

yeah the mats should be fine alone with your bunny,they get to lay onthem and chew them up at the same time,im sure Ambrose will love tochew it to pieces :D

just another thing,you could also give him some wood chews to chewon,one thing my bunnies love are apple tree branches,since i have aapple tree in my backyard it has become convenient,my bunnies spendages munching on the branch and then they just leave the naked sticklying around when they are finished lol

cheryl

any idea where i can get an apple tree branchfrom then:DI dont have a tree, ooh actually mum might i'll ask nexttime i'm there!

hehehe,i could always post some to you,just a thought lol

if your mum has an apple tree,you should really grab some

cheryl

Back