Rabbit Rescues in Alberta?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any in Alberta? Igoogled it and didn't come across any. I'm looking specifically for onethat deals with the Edmonton area -- someone there just contacted mewith a female Mini Rex (yes, Mini Rex AGAIN!!) that is being given upand apparently was being starved for one week because the owner ran outof food and didn't have time to buy any.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kathy, I have not been able to locate a singlerabbit rescue in Alberta what-so-ever, sorry. :(IfIhad the time and space, I'd take her and foster her but I can't. I hopeyou can help find her a good place!

Eve -- thanks for the link. I'll check them out and send them an e-mail, see if they could be of help.

Laura -- that's okay! I'm going back to Edmonton later this month andif she's not in a new home by then, I'm going to go personally have alook at her. I have a Mini Lop with me right now as well and he seemsreally lonely by himself and I eventually want to bond him to a female.

Anyway, I've attached a pic of the Mini Rex -- I think her name is Panini.

goodmemory Jordiwes!

Kathy, send her a pm and see if shes interested! That would bewonderful. Panini is such a gorgeous girl who deserves a much betterhome :D

If you are looking to adopt a mini rexwould you be interested in the one we took from you?

He is a good bunny and would make a good companion bunny and he's looking for a home still.

Rabbit Hutch wrote:
If you are looking to adopt a mini rex aren't you interestedin the one we took from you?

He is a good bunny and would make a good companion bunny and he's looking for a home still.
Shes not looking to adopt a mini rex, she's trying to adopt one out. Theres another one who needs a home...

Sorry - I thought from this it sounded like she wants to bond a bunny with hers:

Laura -- that's okay! I'm going back to Edmonton later this month andif she's not in a new home by then, I'm going to go personally have alook at her. I have a Mini Lop with me right now as well and he seemsreally lonely by himself and I eventually want to bond him to a female.

And it doesn't hurt to promote all bunnies that need homes....I didn't want him to be forgotten about

Rabbit Hutch wrote:
If you are looking to adopt a mini rexwould you beinterested in the one we took from you?

I don't have any definite plans for bonding my ML just yet because ofspace issues (if it doesn't work out). However, I've been hearing a lotof things about how male-male bonds are unpredictable and they canfight out of nowhere even after years of being bonded. Having nevertried putting 2 bunnies together myself, perhaps you could shed somelight on the subject for me? I have no clue when it comes to that.

For that reason, I was leaning more towards adopting a female instead.
But like mentioned, I'd still have to wait on it a bit until at leastafter the new year as I'm going to Alberta for the holiday and stilllooking for an affordable sitter.

Kathy wrote:
For that reason, I was leaning more towards adopting a female instead.
But like mentioned, I'd still have to wait on it a bit until at leastafter the new year (still looking for an affordable bunnysitter).
Bonding two males is definitely doable, although it is usually the mostdifficult of the matchings. It depends so much on the individual rabbitthough. I was able to bond 2 of my males, but it really took a lot oftime and patience.

For a bunny-sitter, maybe try pming RO members in your area. You canclick on British Columbia under your name and it will tell you iftheres anyone else around you. I knowwe have somemembersnear you (mods too!)but Im not sure howclose, or if they would be available.

Its worth checking into though!

It depends on the personalities of the 2 bunsyou are trying to bond. I've had many male bonded pairs thatweren't brothers or the same breed etc.

Anyways, if you do decide to try a male, don't forget to think about the little guy. He's a really nice bun.

Panini's owner and I had agreed that I was to goover to his house today and take her with me. I received a phone callthis morning -- she died sometime between late last night and earlythis morning.

Today's not a good day. :(

From over in BC, I tried to do the best I could in finding her a newhome but it was extremely difficult. I gave him tips on how to bettercare for her meanwhile, as the neglect was in part due to hisignorance. But there was only so much I could do without being here inperson. Now I am and I'm SUPPOSED to be heading over there right now,but it's a little too late.

She was only about 7 months young, never had hay to eat under his care,constantly producing excess cecals, and was terrified of being touched(always put up a fight). I wish things could've turned out differently.

None of the rescues I contacted could/did do anything about it.

:(:(:(

The worst thing is, he had to constantly be reminded to feed her orhe'd forget. I asked him when he called to tell me what happened ifthere was food + water in there.. and he said no. I'm so very angryright now, don't understand how someone can just "forget" to feed theirpet rabbit who makes noises (shouldn't that at least be a reminder thatthere's something living under his household that needs to eat?). Shewas an indoor rabbit, btw, so I just can't understand.

Oh how heartbreaking! I'm so very sorry.

You did what you could do from where you were. Don't beat yourself up, it was her socalled owner's fault that this happened.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. This just makes me wish that I could have taken her, who knows, it might have saved the poor girl.:(

You did the best you could and that is all you can do.

P.S.- The rescues and shelters in this area are useless to be honest,it's part of my ambition to open my own small scale rabbit rescue whenI graduate for bunnies much like her.

OMG, Kathy I'm so sorry! :imsorry:

I misread amessage in this thread, I didn't realize theperson was just quoting you, I thought the bunny wasbeingdealt with. :(

I feel awful, I really should have tried to get some of my Edmontonfriends (or relatives) to look after her for a few days, or done abetter job looking for rescues and shelters.

This one's going to give me nightmares.

Thanks so much for trying, Kathy. :hug2:

sas :cry2

Pipp, I knew the rabbit wasn't in the bestconditions but I assumed she would be fine until Kathy could get thereto pick her up. ApparentlyI assumed wrong. I should havetaken her at least until Kathy could have gotten here, who knows, somehay and proper food might have been enough to save her.:(

Latest posts

Back