Rabbit Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet23

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Some of you may have seen me around, lurking around the forums and whatnot. Just putting this out as a plan for the future, but I want to eventually open up a rescue society, more geared towards rabbits and cats because I see so many of them in other shelters and I know the Edmonton area is bursting at the seams with them, at least that's what it seems anyway. I've looked on Kijiji and seen in the papers and for the past year or more it's been really bad, especially for the amount of cats in the area. So ya, resue society would be good for this problem :)

Like I said it's just a plan for the future, I know I'm going to need the place, the room, the money, the supplies, a vet clinic to deal with, the people to help, etc, etc. It's going to be an uphill ordeal, but so rewarding in the end.

I'm almost done my schooling to become a registered Animal Health Technician, so hopefully that will help. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what else needs to be done, like licenses and paperwork and permits and such? Hopefully someone knows this, and where I would go to get all this done. I kniw I could start out by fostering a few, which I will do when Im done school and in a bigger place.

If anyone has any suggestions you can just reply here or PM me too, Im on holidays from school now so I have lots of time :)

There might be laws about the number of animals you can keep in a house/residence. This is usually more for cats and dogs, but some cities also limit other species. If you are a rescue, you should be able to get an exemption so you will need to look into that.
Getting recognized as a charity or non profit organizing is a huge step to be able to accept donations. I am not sure how to do this, but I think it is a provincial matter. Try finding out what you can and contacting other rescues to see if they know how to do it.
A location will be difficult. Some rescues use buildings in industrial areas as the rent is lower and there is usually fewer restrictions. You might not want to rent a building right away if you cannot afford it and the renovations that might be needed.
Many rescues have foster homes that care for the animals. This would probably be a better idea for a smaller rescue, but you need people to do it that you can trust.

If you have some money now, work on getting cages and other supplies. Check thrift stores, Kijiji and other sources for used wire dog crates, x-pens, cages, carrier and other items you will need. Dollar stores would be good for litter boxes, food and water dishes and some basic toys, cleaning supplies and things like leashes. You will need these items, so best start sooner and have more than be turning away animals because you don't have cages. Now is a good time to get wood stove pellets from hardware stores and you can never have enough if you have lots of rabbits.

Start calling vets in the area to see what they can offer you from check ups to spay/neuters and other medical stuff. Since you are going to be an AHT, you should be able to do some basic stuff on your own of offer to work with the vet in exchange for some discounts.
Also ask local pet stores if they are willing to accept donations or even host adoption events in the future. I know of quite a few pet stores around here that collect donations for specific rescues.

Try to have as many resources in place before you start taking in animals. This means foster homes, supplies, a vet, a website or way to get the word out and some money to pay for things.

One good idea could be to get involved in a smaller rescue to see how it works and if you are ready for doing it on your own. Try to get as involved as you can, not just as a foster parent but also doing fund raising and going out to rescues if you can.

Thanks for all the advice, its been very helpful! Ive been going out to dollar stores and picking up some stuff and putting it away to use later when it gets all started up and everything, but ive run into a problem...i need a name that hasnt been taken, lol. Any ideas anyone?

Latest posts

Back