Rabbit Recommendations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstcapfire

Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of getting a rabbit for our 6 1/2 year old son as he has been hounding us about getting one. I am not all that familiar with the different breeds etc. I tried calling a local 4 H club that specializes in rabbits but cannot get a return phone call.

Anyways I would like recommendations on what breeds are good etc. Eventually he will probably show them in 4H when he is old enough. I am not a fan of going to a local pet store and buying one there as I don't know how healthy they are etc.

I also have noticed that most places that do sell rabbits have more than 1 per cage. Are they herd animals where they should be in pairs?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Well.. Rabbits can be put in pairs its recommend but you have to neuter or spay both and wait a month for the hormones to fully disappear or else you'll either have babys and fighting doe and buck and unnecessary stress. Also you can go with basic breeds Rex,Mini lop,Lionhead etc. Or go with unusual such as english lops, french lops, etc . If anyone in ypur family is allergic you should get a rex as they dont should much *I have one* or a longer haired breed *mini lop, have one too* but the mini lop will moult a lot more than a rex will also will lionheads and any other long haired breeds, and need constant grooming during the moult and less constant but stilll constant grooming when not in moult. As for bunnies which are good, theres no particular breed as they are each different but I find neuetered bucks are best :D. And yes .never shop, I made the mistake twice but because there's no rescues or adoption bunnies, Adopt dont shop :D and make sure you know bunnies come with responsibuand lots of money toys,food *no museli mix *, veggies, and lots of hay not to mention vet bills and of course LOTS of love if you can take all the responsibility then go right ahead! if you dont know much about buns I recommend the HRS *House rabbit society website* Hope I helped and any quwyou might have I'll be glad to help! xoxo Chester and blue.

I would advise against getting a dwarf as they are *typically* more high strung and persnickety. Dutch bunnies are good for children as they *typically* have good temperament.
They normally do better in pairs but they need to have plenty of space and the pet store cages are not large enough.
Bunnies are A LOT of responsibility and take up more time than a dog or cat so I would set up a schedule for our little one to have to follow and you need to be prepared to take it over (speaking as a mother to a six year old that also wanted a rabbit and got bored)
Rescues are a great place to look and typically most spay and neuter prior to allowing adoption. The good ones will help you get a good fit and some will adopt out bonded pairs which saves you the trouble. They also should give a bit of rabbit education about what to feed and care etc.
Would you have an indoor or outdoor bun? It's definitely something to consider as they can be litter trained and though hard work they bring much joy as well!!!
Best of luck!!!

Rabbits do not make appropriate pets for small children, they are delicate and can be easily injured if mishandled. Most rabbits don't like to be picked up or held. If a parent gets one as a pet for a young child he or she should be prepared to take full responsibility for its care. Rabbits need many hours out to run and play everyday. It is more difficult to find vets that specialize in rabbits, and those vet bills can be expensive. Honestly I would consider another type of pet, and/or wait until your child is older. Definitely good advice to read the house rabbit website as stated above. Good luck finding the right pet for your family!

You might want to search for threads on 4-H on this site and see what you can find out from them...I know there have been discussions on it You could also just go to a 4-H meeting and find out more about which breeds are popular in your area. My daughter showed in FFA, which is somewhat similar, in which case you would probably need a purebred that is not fixed, unless you plan to just show in the pet category. Typically, youth show commercial rabbits like Californians and New Zealands, but also show other smaller breeds like Polish, lops, Dutch etc. I wouldn't go to a petstore if you want one to show, but to a breeder.

I agree with the others that you should be prepared to help with caring for the rabbit. My daughter enjoyed it so much that we show together now, but not every kid will enjoy it enough to continue.

I have children that range from 2 to 16. In my experience so far, rabbits are fantastic pets for younger kids as long as there is strict adult supervision. Pretty much like any other pet...parents need to step in and supervise. You're going to want to get them spayed or neutered (this makes things easier on you....I can't wait until our boys go in for their chip and snip next week).

-They do not like to be held. (Trimming our Flemish Giant's nails is like wrestling a small bear.)
-The do need room to hop and play.
-They do need daily attention and toys.

As for a particular breed, I defer to someone who has more knowledge. We have 3 different breeds (Lop, Dwarf Hotot and Flemish Giant), and they all bring the same level of joy and challenges. If you're not picky on a particular breed, can I suggest a local shelter? We just got the most adorable Lop baby for $10 at the Humane Society. It was a special promotion day, and that fee included micro-chip and spaying.

Good luck! I hope this helps, and that you find a bunny that is right for you. They are pretty awesome :)

Everyone else has covered the basics, main point being that young children are not suitable owners for pets of any kind. However, if you as a family would like to take on a companion rabbit, I suggest doing a bit more research before choosing a breed. By the time your son is showing, the rabbit will more likely than not be too old. Additionally, an altered rabbit makes a rabbit that is less destructive, less territorial, and a more pleasant companion. I am a huge advocate of buying from reputable breeders- two of my three are from breeders and are much healthier and friendlier than my pet store bun. Because you have a young child, a medium-sized breed sounds suitable as they tend to be much more laid-back for petting and don't have that high-strung "dwarfitude". Mini Lops (not Holland Lops) and Dutches would be my first picks for a child, as they are generally fairly relaxed, yet aren't so large that they're difficult to handle.:)

I have 2 Rex Rabbits: they r super smart, very playful, gentle, and have great personalities. They r also good with kids. I like having 2, because then when we r gone they can keep each other company. I have also heard that Dutch dwarf rabbits are amazing pets.

Latest posts

Back