rabbit pulling hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellablueyes

Reaction score
Fluffers is 6 and a half months old. And is just being introduced to other rabbits. (Since she was about 8 weeks) when with other rabbits she mounted them immediately. Now, about 3 weeks later she is pulling hair and building a nest like she is going to have babies. If it was even possible, she has only been with me for 3 weeks. Has anyone ever had this happen?

It is possible she is pregnant. Their gestation is 28-32 days so she may have gotten bred accidentally before you got her.

If you don't want babies, bunnies shouldn't be introduced if they aren't neutered and spayed as they are really really fast!

Like someone mentioned, if she was with other bunnies before, she could have gotten pregnant then. However, if you haven't seen her being mounted, it's possible that she is having a pseudo-pregnancy as well. That means, she would think and behave as though she is, without actually being preggers.

However, since she has been around other rabbits, I would consider it a pregnancy until proven otherwise, just in case. I would keep an eye on her food intake, water, and provide her with lots of hay and just let her be to do her thing. I would keep her away from any other bunnies and count the last time she had access to a buck as day 1. If she passes gestation period and you haven't felt any babies or she hasn't given birth, then you can decide what you want to do.

Since we don't know when she would have gotten preggers,I would put in a box so she can nest. I would also try gently palpating to see if you can feel anything. SHe might get a bit aggressive so be gentle andavoid startling her if possible.I am sure there are articles in the Library section if you need more info too. :)

(Some people might suggest you have her spayed now if it is an unwanted pregnancy and this would result in the babies being aborted ifshe would indeed be pregnant.That is a controversial topic so I will let you be the judge of that.)

The other rabbits that she was introduced to were all females. I guess I should have said that. So that's why I am so questioning of the hair pulling. She was the only rabbit where she was before I got her so no chance of her already being preggers. It is all just so odd to me. I have had rabbits before and actually raised them. Never had anythinglike this happen though.

I'd say her hormones are driving her crazy and she thinks she's going to have babies. Layla did this and I called up the vet to book her spay!

A lot of times they start making a nest and can get territorial over it so you should be aware of that. If possible, get her spayed as soon as you can since the pseudo-pregnancies are very taxing on them mentally and physically and adds a lot of stress to their life.

The behavior should go away within a few weeks when her body realizes there are no actual babies.

I totally agree with kim. Our polish die started pulling fur we put in a nest box and she startned pulling more fur. We finally bred her and she was totally ready, lifted for the buck and had four little ones the next month. I would look into a spay

Thanks guys, I feel better and will check into getting her spayed. So far she doesn't care if I move anything around in her cage. She is a very sweet loving rabbit. And I want her to stay that way.

Back