Rabbit pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseyandKen

Reaction score
Quick question: one of my bunnies, Isis, who wegot from an owner who no longer wanted her, built a huge fur lined nesta couple of days ago, making me think the real reason was that she waspregnant. (I've had her 2 weeks now.)

I left her alone in her cage for two days, checking her, but no babiescame, and after she stomped the nest down yesterday, Iassumed phantom pregnancy. Reassured by this, I just had her out for arun around, and she seemed very heavy. She wet on the floor which hadblood in it (def. blood, not colour) and I wondered whether she wasabout to give birth? Do rabbits' waters break like humans to indicateimminent birthing?

Blade did the exact same thing last week after being out on the floor,and she hadn't even built a nest. 2 hours later there was a huge nest,fur and 7 kits!

Thanks,

Lindsey

The fluid may be expelled before, during and/orafter. I've occasionallyseen a large gush ofamniotic fluid come out when pulling out stuck kits.

I'd keep an eye on her if pregnancy is apossibility. The skill of being able to palpate is veryhelpful at times like these as pregnancy can be ruled out or confirmedas well as being able to tell if kits are retained and whether or notmedical care is necessary.

It's difficult to throw out guesses when we are not even certain if sheis pregnant. A bladder/kidney infection as well as uterineinfection could also be the cause of blood being passed.

Pam

Pam,

Thanks for that. :)

I just felt her tummy and couldn't feel much, but without beinggraphic, her nipples are all exposed and massive. Does this give me aclue? I tried to check her genitals but she went mad, kicking andscratching if I so much as went near the area. She's had no food for 2days - hasn't eaten much since she built the nest. I've never palpatedbefore and am a bit scared of doing so in case I hurt her - did notpress hard at all on her tummy, and she didn't seem to mind. There wereno obvious bumps, but then there wasn't with Blade.

I have no idea if she was mated at all: predictablyI wasn'ttold, seeing as all the owner wanted was to get shot of her. Soirresponsible!

I've checked the stomped nest and there are definitely no signs of a litter yet - maybe tonight?

Lindsey

She may be filling up with milk. Ourdoes normally don't show much sign of being pregnant as far as lookingat the mammary glands. Like humans, colostrum is firstproduced, with milk coming in about 3 days after the litter isborn. Once again, it's hard to make guesses over theinternet. I don't want to overlook the fact that there couldbe a health problem involved. If she's still showing signsafter you've had her for a month, I'd certainly get her to a vet tohave her checked out.

From what you are observing, it sounds like she's going to have babies soon, so let us know what happens.

Pam

LindseyandKen wrote:
I just felt her tummy and couldn't feel much, but without beinggraphic, her nipples are all exposed and massive. Does this give me aclue?

This summer, I noticed my borrowed doe's nipples became wet and swollenabout a week before birthing. She was quite miserable, and movedheavily. Actually, she was about the proportions of a basketball andcouldn't stay on her feet for more than 30 seconds or so. I never feltany kits in the brief moments I felt her belly.

She gave birth to a litter of 9 (all healthy, all survived) several days late (I counted 35 days).

However, my Holland doe showed absolutely no sign except that she ateand drank a lot! Physically she remained small and slight, and I don'tremember her nipples being swollen.

Hoping for the best for yours!

Rose

Pam and RabbitGirl,

Thanks for your advice :)

It's all speculation at the min. for us - she may never have seen abuck in her life but all the signs seem to be there! She's the size ora house (and I can't remember if I noticed that before shenested...typical!)

I'll post again if any wrigglies rear their little heads - I wish she'd hurry up!

Lindsey x
:dude:

LOL You're the same as me! We've beenwaiting over a week now since Max built her nest... it's excruciatinglyexcruciating!!! :D I keep checking her to see ifthere are any there... but nope, she's not giving! And she'sbeginning to turn into a Potbellied Pig!! It's like someone'sstuck their socks in my little girl's tummy! The poor thinglies around all day, eats hay, drinks a bit of water then lies backdown... only lifting her head to see what I'm doing looking in herhutch again!! :D

Ang xx

Tell Henry he needs to take her for a long walk at the mall! That should help get labor started! ;)

LOL Or me a heart attack!*has an imageof Max and Henry hopping down to the local shoppingcentre*:shock::D:p I'm thinking it'll probably bean early morning birth coz that's when the house is at it's quietestand she'll be most relaxed. Though they're in our room at themoment coz we had a guest staying in the spare room, so they've had tolisten to my coughing all through the night for the lastweek! Not exactly a calming atmosphere! :?

Anyways, I'm just in from a party so I'm off to beddy bo bos! Nighty night!

Ang xx

Oh just as I was coming offline, Dan came throughand says Max has been going bonkers in her hutch and is thumping andrunning round! No idea what's going on with her, but I hopeshe's okay! Maybe the babies will come tonight!! :D

Night again! :D

Ang xx

Oooooo I hope so! Let us know firstthing ok? I am so excited! You'd think it was my bunny havingbabies LOL!

Nite nite :)

It looks like Ang norI will be gettingsleep tonight. I have two does due tomorrow and I'm pacing the floorssince this both does first litter. :shock:Keep us postedplease Ang!

Lanna

Bo B Bunny wrote:
LindseyandKen wrote:
Still nowrigglies! Bah.....so impatient!:(
LOL,yep, that's about right! Have sinking feeling in stomachnot unlike being a kid at Christmas Eve! And every time I look thereare no wrigglies, and I get so disappointed! BTW, Ang's bunny had herkits - look at the Xmas kits post!!

Why not me??!!

I CHECKED AGAIN, AND YAY, SHE'S PULLED MORE FUR AND RE-BUILT HER STOMPED NEST INTO AN IMPRESSIVE WARREN!

I am sure babies are on the way - Iz even turned her nose up at a pile of Spinach!

On a different note, I checked Storm and now it's older, the 'he' isdefinitely a 'she!' No wonder Sadd was looking happy for a change!Luckily she can't be more than 6 weeks, according to the vet, so nomore wrigglies from her, I hope! Sad is on his way to the vet to befixed on Tuesday now.......:?

Latest posts

Back