Rabbit possibly having trouble peeing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyMiyo

Reaction score
Some background, maybe relevant: The last week I've been home sick, so I haven't been able to go to the supermarket to get fresh veggies for Miyo. Usually she gets a cup of veg a day, but she had to go without for about 5 days. (sorry baby girl! :( ) During that period I noticed she drank more water than usual, but I figured it was because she wasn't getting wet veg. She was peeing normally through all this time.

Well yesterday I finally managed to pop by the supermarket as just they were closing up and with luck and some begging, scored a bag of watercress, one of her favourite veggies. I gave her a cup of it, which she happily ate, then I put her back in her bachelorette pad and went to bed.

Today when I let her out, she again hopped straight to her water bowl and had a very long drink. Besides that she was acting normal and everything, eating pellets enthusiastically and nibbling on hay. Then an hour later, she went into her litterbox (she normally hardly goes in there except for a few seconds at a time to pee) and sort of sat there for a few minutes in tail-up peeing position. Usually I can hear the sound of water hitting the litter, but this time I couldn't. I kept watching her and after ages she hopped out, and I saw a tiny little wet spot, less than half the size of her usual pee!

It did not look sludgey or an unusual color, but with wood pellet litter it's hard to tell.

Anywho that freaked me out. I know one reason rabbits can have pee trouble is too much calcium, and watercress is quite high in calcium. She has never had trouble with watercress before, but could this have anything to do with her body adjusting to no veggies in the days before yesterday? Is she now intolerant of veggies and I have to slowly reintroduce them like to a baby?

In any case, if I stop giving her watercress will she get better on her own or do I need some sort of calcium-flushing meds? Or could the problem be something else entirely unrelated to the watercress?

Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the long post...

It's possible she has a bladder sludge issue, or it could be an infection or a kidney issue. Your best bet to rule out any issues is a vet visit.

She is an indoor solitary bun, I don't see where she could have caught an infection... she is also less than a year old so I think she'd be too young for kidney failure. It's probably bladder sludge then?

Unfortunately Miyo and I live in Fiji, it is a tiny island close to Australia and there are like 2 vets on the whole island, neither of them rabbit vets! :cry: I will bring Miyo to them if I absolutely have to, but I don't really trust them. Fijian pets/animals are usually lizards and marine fish.

Keep feeding her greens for the water content, but for the moment, I would stay away from anything that tends to have high amounts of calcium in it. In future, if you are feeding greens high in calcium, I would only do it every other day and only in addition to other greens that you are feeding. So if you're giving him a cup of greens, make 3/4 greens that don't have high calcium and then 1/4 that does. I grow silverbeet for Bandit, but I always skip at least one day in between and he never gets that much, one leaf at most (and the leaves aren't that large).

I'm not sure if suddenly re-introducing greens like that would cause such an issue, but I would keep a close eye for now and see how it goes.

Some background, maybe relevant: The last week I've been home sick, so I haven't been able to go to the supermarket to get fresh veggies for Miyo. Usually she gets a cup of veg a day, but she had to go without for about 5 days. (sorry baby girl! :( ) During that period I noticed she drank more water than usual, but I figured it was because she wasn't getting wet veg. She was peeing normally through all this time.

Well yesterday I finally managed to pop by the supermarket as just they were closing up and with luck and some begging, scored a bag of watercress, one of her favourite veggies. I gave her a cup of it, which she happily ate, then I put her back in her bachelorette pad and went to bed.

Today when I let her out, she again hopped straight to her water bowl and had a very long drink. Besides that she was acting normal and everything, eating pellets enthusiastically and nibbling on hay. Then an hour later, she went into her litterbox (she normally hardly goes in there except for a few seconds at a time to pee) and sort of sat there for a few minutes in tail-up peeing position. Usually I can hear the sound of water hitting the litter, but this time I couldn't. I kept watching her and after ages she hopped out, and I saw a tiny little wet spot, less than half the size of her usual pee!

It did not look sludgey or an unusual color, but with wood pellet litter it's hard to tell.

Anywho that freaked me out. I know one reason rabbits can have pee trouble is too much calcium, and watercress is quite high in calcium. She has never had trouble with watercress before, but could this have anything to do with her body adjusting to no veggies in the days before yesterday? Is she now intolerant of veggies and I have to slowly reintroduce them like to a baby?

In any case, if I stop giving her watercress will she get better on her own or do I need some sort of calcium-flushing meds? Or could the problem be something else entirely unrelated to the watercress?

Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the long post...
-----i would try grass ie.timothy hay -in the poop box,--keep water available at all times,,--doesnot sound like any major behavioral differences,but stay vigulent observing--sorry to be so tearse,vision problems--sincerely james waller--:rabbithop:bouquet::mrsthumper:

Is there not a water bowl available to her at all times? If not, she needs one to be. I just sounds abnormal that you let her out and she ran to the water bowl.

A urinary tract infection can happen to any rabbit, it does not really matter if they are indoor or outdoor. Sometimes it's just a fluke.

My first thought jumped to the kidneys as well. My poor boy Ty dealt with it for quite some time and he was an obsessive drinker who took in insane amount of water, but he also completely lost his litter habits and peed everywhere (And A LOT) so it doesn't sound quite right.

It's tough when you live somewhere with no bunny-savvy vets. Do you notice any abnormal tail lifting? When she pees, check to see if it's sandy. Maybe put newspaper in her litterbox so you can see if there is anything abnormal with her urine.

Hi guys, just an update - It seems to have been a random fluke. I've been checking on her and her litterbox has many more regular-sized pee spots now. To be on the safe side I threw out the watercress, and just have her on hay, pellets and a bit of cilantro.

Kipcha, she has a water bottle in her cage :) I just put a water bowl out for her when she's let out, so she doesn't have to go all the way back to her cage for a drink each time. Besides, licking that metal ball all the time must get really tiring for our poor buns.

Anywho, I don't think it's kidney failure as she hasn't lost her litter habits. I will keep an eye out though, if she has any more weird peeing episodes I will post another update. Thanks to everyone for the help!!

Latest posts

Back