Rabbit possibly has fur mites, not sure?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amayo1989

Reaction score
I have a four year old mini rex rabbit named Foofy. I have never had any problem with his health in any kind of way, he has been perfect. Last week, I noticed he had what felt like scabs under his neck so i got kinda worried but he wouldn't let me look at them so I just left it alone. Well tonight he finally let me lift up his neck and look at it ( because its in that crease so hard to see) and I pulled his fur apart and saw white flakes stuck to his fur... after some research I think these are fur mites. Im not POSITIVE just because everything Ive read said that they would be on his back, not under his neck. ANYWAYS, I'm currently out of a job and its making me so upset that I can't get him to the doctor. Does anyone know a way to get rid of them without vet prescribed meds? I was thinking about going to the local pet store and talking to the owner to see if there is something they sell that is safe for rabbits. But I figured I would stop by here as well. If anyone could help, it would save me a whole lot of stress and him a lot of pain im sure! thanks!!

it could be another fungal infection but then again it could be fur mites
the best thing that you could do is take him to the vet to find out for sure.

please don't use any over the counter remedies even if the petstore clerks tell you that they are safe ; many products out there labeled for exotics are not safe.

The treatment for fur mites would be Revolution ; the generic name for that is selemectin

you could call a vet and ask them if they would sell you 1 tube of Revolution because you do not have the money to bring the rabbit in and/or you could order it from 1 place (thatI am aware of ) without a prescription

http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp

You would want to order the pink box for puppies and kittens

It will cost to order because you cannot order just 1 tube.

Maybe you also could make arrangements to pay a vet in installments for the visit

let us know....
Once again your rabbit could have something other than fur mites. You could try the revolution to see if it does the job but you may need to visit a vet anyway if the condition persists

i have a bun that is messy and hes had some gunk under his chin before too..he lays his head on the crock and it gets wet sometimss..it ended up being food and water that kinda dried up ..i cleaned it up cuz it can get moldy under there which is dangerous...thats called wet dewlap or green chin its an overgrowth of the bacteria Pseudomonas.
not sure if this is what u found or not but my buns fur did look a little flaky from it..
whatever u do ..DONT USE FRONTLINE!!!..it could kill ur rabbit..

The condition does sound like fur mites. Kitten flea powder from the pet store can be used. I used Sevin garden dust for many years. Be aware that "any" medication has the potential to cause a reaction. If your rabbit suffers a neuro reaction to the powders, immediately wash it off of the skin.

Ivermectin paste (can be purchased over the counter) can be used orally or topically and is very effective. However, if your rabbit has a reaction, there is no antidote.

I agree that consulting aveterinarian would be the best course of action.

Trust me, My bunny is my baby so i have done lots of research and i know not to give them frontline or advantage. Thank you though!! And that's interesting. The only thing about it, is they kind of look like actual sores. like i said, I thought they were scabs at first! Only, white scabs! haha...

Latest posts

Back