Rabbit Pellets and Mice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ilovetegocalderon wrote:
My friend told me rabbit pellets bring mice. Isthis true?
I can't say I've had a problem, but myfriend once got a bag from a feed store with a mouse in it. Idump my bags into a plastic trashcan, so far so good, and I buy themfrom the same feed store. Make sure the bags have no holes inthem. I have never had a mouse in my basement before andthat's where I keep the food.

Bring mice? How?

If you mean attract? Yes they can. They should never be left in thegarage unless in a sealed plastic container. But the same goes for allfeed, not only rabbit feed. Mice are scavengers, they will find a wayto get at easy feed no problem.

I agree with MBB...though I haven't attractedmice, myself (living in a second story apartment kinda hinders that),if I did live in a house, I would most definitely store themsealed. :)

We keep our rabbit food inside the house in a plastic container, so defo no problems there.:)

But our neighbours just leave the open bag in their garage, last summerthere was a little brownmouse regularly in the bag, gettingfood, they saw it often, but they never did anything about it:?

To avoid problems with mice, I keep my pellets,hay, cubes, treats, etc., in their original bags and then put them in alarge plastic storage container. I also keep it inside. Condensationand moisture can promote molds and toxins, so be sure there is someform of vent on the container. Mine have a screened vent where thehand-holds are.

You can also consider freezing pellets until needed.

~Jim

Really any type of food can attractmice. I keep my rabbit pellets and cat food in sealedcontainers. The hay is kept in open boxes though, because itneeds ventilation.

I have not had any problems with mice in my house, but I did have somein my last apartment. My landlords weren't very good abouttaking the trash out of their apartment downstairs and sometimes themice would make their way upstairs to my apartment. I mostlyonly saw them in the kitchen. We made sure to keep everythingvery clean, put food away and keep it in sealed containers, vacuumed alot to get rid of the crumbs in my carpeted (!) kitchen, and set outtraps. We caught one and then didn't see an more.

I keep my hay in a hay shed on PVC pipe legs and so far no mice have managed to get into it!

All bags of feed are left in the basement since there are no mice in myhouse and I keep a plastic container of pellets in the garage on ashelfsince it's easier than having to go into the basementeveryday.

Back