rabbit pee color - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annabelle00

Reaction score
This was my rabbit caramel's pee this morning and he isn't drinking eating or having his treats.
He's been eating celery recently and I removed the ACV from his water.

IMG_0561.jpg

Did you notice that there are very tiny dark specks in the urine? It looks like it in the photo and am wondering if this could indicate clots?
Here is the HRS article on red urine.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=2839

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

It is sometimes difficult to discern what is blood and what is pigment but this urine looks abnormal to me. Due to the fact that he is having other serious symptoms I would take him to a rabbit knowledgeable vet as soon as possible.
Did the urine stain change colors since it has dried ?
What is ACV and why are you flushing his ears?

Also if you place a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on a blood stain it will fizz due to an enzyme in the blood so you might want to try that on the urine.

He died before I could get him to the vet... For the past few days he kept bugging me trying to tell me something...I think this was it. I thought he was being silly

I am so sorry for your loss :( my own bunny usually always have orange/reddish urine and because of stories like this I took him to the vet twice. I have a hard time telling from bad too. If you don't could describe any other symptoms? I am just really sorry for everything. I think out of all pets I have had my bunny stresses me the most with dealing with illness.

lethargic and not eating/drinking his breathing was very shallow...as i was getting off the phone to the vet he died
im pretty sure i messed something up
i promised him i would take care of him but let him die xc

Sorry for your loss :( ACV is a great allround tonic but it may have contributed to a urinary tract infection if it was constantly in his drinking water.. They have naturally occurring salts which may have been a culprit. I swore by ACV for my horses but only added a splash to their feed each night. Horses & rabbits have the same type of digestive tract. Dont beat yourself up about it, atleast you gave him a loving life & did the best you could for him. Loosing your beloved bunny is devastating so i feel your pain. RIP little man

Ninjabun: Rabbits can have coloured urine from the coloured pigments in the vegies they are eating. My bun had reddish urine from eating purple kale! Most coloured urine is cause by food & on the rare occasion from blood but thats usually accompanied by the bun showing signs of being unwell- lethargy, not eating or drinking, change of personality etc. The urine should go vack to its normal colour once you stop giving the culprit vegie but the veg wont be doing him any harm.

Oh I am so very sorry that you lost him. RIP little Caramel..you were loved !!!!:bigtears:
Don't beat yourself up! All of us tend to blame ourselves when we lose a bunny. ((Hugs))

Ninjabun: Rabbits can have coloured urine from the coloured pigments in the vegies they are eating. My bun had reddish urine from eating purple kale! Most coloured urine is cause by food & on the rare occasion from blood but thats usually accompanied by the bun showing signs of being unwell- lethargy, not eating or drinking, change of personality etc. The urine should go vack to its normal colour once you stop giving the culprit vegie but the veg wont be doing him any harm.

He only had a small piece of celery and before he peed that puddle he had clear urine the day before. I filled his bowl up the night before as he looked a bit down but he didn't touch a bite...his stomach was bloated the morning after.
He couldn't even stand I put him on his back to hug him but I think that slowed his heart rate even more :[:sigh:

He was the bunny that was closest to me :( all I can think of is all the times he tried to tell me something was wrong with him and I passed it off as a silly bun having fun ;_;
I should've done his blood tests :(

:( That horrible Hun! I know what your going through- I lost my beloved Buzz U Da Man 2 weeks ago & he was my Favourite little darling out of them all He use to honk at me & run circles around my legs when he saw me & followed me everywere, I had him since birth. He too stopped eating, didn't eat his food the night before & was in a state of shock hense not eating & a day & a half later he died in my arms!! My usual vet wasnt in the day i took him in so i got told to just keep him warm because the vet had no idea about rabbits!! my usual vet did an autopsy & He had a suspected blockage from destroying a card board house I made him! I feel bad to this day as he could have lived but we can't hold that against ourselves! I was & still am devastated & cried for days! These little darlings have such a special place in our hearts & nothing can replace them! Atleast they had a wonderful life & didn't die alone or unloved. Don't beat yourself up about it.

:] I hope so once the sadness passes...please keep him in your thoughts :)

Mirabelle my other bun will be going away too...to someone who will be able to do her tooth abscess operation....I hope despite everything her life will be enjoyable :)

Latest posts

Back