Rabbit owner by accident

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom21

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm completely new and clueless to everything rabbits and didn't really even "want" this one. I don't mean it to come off the way it sounds at all and I love ALL animals dearly but this guy has been roaming my neighborhood for a couple weeks now and living on the side of my house. To be honest with you, I don't live in a good neighborhood at all and I can't imagine he would've lasted long out there. I've tried catching him before and he/she comes right up to me, but I was a little afraid to grab her. Last night it was raining and she came under my porch and I "trapped" her with a guinea pig cage I just so happened to have. I don't have a clue if it's male or female, breed etc. I haven't tried handling her yet but she seems friendly. I have lots of questions coming for appropriate care/housing so thank you in advance for having me and any responses :)

Hi Mom21. Welcome to RO.

That was wonderful of you to take in the bunny.

Bunnies are wonderful pets, can be work at times but to me so worth it, especially when you get that first Bunny Kiss.:big kiss:

You will definitely need to get some hay for the little guy or gal. Pellets, some greens. Their is very good info on here for new Moms like you:).

Susan

ps

You will need to get pictures of your little one.

Until you get some rabbit pellets and hay (can be found at Walmart, feed stores or pet stores.) pick lots of grass, clover, dandelions for it to eat. Always make sure it has water too. They drink quite a bit. Any small bowl it can get the water out of will be fine until later.

If you have a small box cut a door out in it and lay it in the cage for your bunny to go into so that it feels more protected when it needs to.

If your cage that your using has a wire bottom try covering it with a towel or cardboard.. something that wont make its feet sore so it doesnt get blisters. Its prob used to soft ground after all.

If you try putting a little dirt in the corner it might try to go to the bath room in that spot also, worth a shot. It might help you clean the cage eaiser for now.

That should help with the main basic's. This is a good place to ask questions! Welcome to the board.

Thank you to both of you! I just made another post about getting some emergency supplies so that helped a lot. One thing I've noticed and maybe this is just a stereotype...I really don't know...but she hasn't pooped at all. I always thought they were notorious for that. Maybe she just doesn't have much food in her, but she was eating my plants and stuff out front so I thought there would be something at least. I also noticed when I've spent time with her outside, she kept digging in the mud and dead leaves. She also did it a bit in her cage. Is this because she's scared of me or normal behavior? Thanks again for responding.

Mom21 wrote:
...but she hasn't pooped at all. I always thought they were notorious for that. ... she kept digging in the mud and dead leaves. She also did it a bit in her cage. Is this because she's scared of me or normal behavior?
Both digging and pooping a lot are rabbit characteristics. Although rabbits do differ on the digging part - some are more diggers than others - they all poop.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if she's eating. Sooner or later, what goes in has to go out, unless there's some major impaction problem (in which case, she'd stop eating pretty quickly). It's very possible she's just uncertain at the moment. If she doesn't start by tomorrow, though, I'd see a vet right away.

Its prob just a little unsure and has some butterflys in its belly. :) Keep an eye out though! Its poop should be roundish like KIX cereal. lol. Digging is fine, with it having been outside maybe its trying to dig out but it doesnt look scared from the photos on your other post I saw. :) Prob just loves to dig.

I dont like saying "it" all the time - feels odd. Do you have a name? You could pick something bi-gender. Sounds to me like you will make a great bun owner!

Thanks guys. She did start pooping today so I think she just needed to get some food in her. She ate a ton of hay, dug in her bedding a little bit, and plopped down and started rolling in it lol She lays on her back like my cats and was letting me pet her. My daughter finds her absolutely hilarious when she starts throwing things around in the cage. For the most part I don't think she's scared of us at all. The only time she kinda perks up and sits in the corner is when the cats are getting in trouble and making a bunch of noise. I can tell she wants to come out and roam around but I have a little bit of rabbit proofing to do first. And Luv Buns, it drives me nuts to say "it" all the time too. My daughter has called her Cadbury so I think we'll just stick with that :)

YEAH!! Cadbury such a cute name:inlove:.

Wait till you letCadbury out and she/he starts running and doing binkies. She will look like she's having a seizure in the air, but doing binkies means he/she is very happy.

Make sure your cords are well hidden. For some reason bunnies are attracted to cords.:?

Susan:wave:

Yes they looove cords no matter where they are they will find them unless bun proofed. hehe. Cadbury is cute - I thought of that one too hehe but I went with Jelly Bean -odd I know and sometimes I dont know whyyy I picked it. I was just thinking of that HOP movie and how he poops jelly beans and TADA. Yeah call me odd - it wont bug me. lol.

Binkies and kisses are the best though, you will get a ton of laughs out of you new addition!!!

Good for you! Cadbury is very lucky to have find you (and you her).. I love when an animal "adopts a person". In my experience every animal that "picked me" turned out to be the BEST pets.

Definetly protect all cords; some rabbits are problem solvers and will keep at something until they get it, or get bored with the attempts. You and your daughter will have so much fun; keep in mind there will be a learning curve and there is no such thing as a stupid question on this site.

Keep updating and get a picture of her for all of us to see.

Yay! Congrats on saving this little bun and becoming a new bunny slave - er, I mean owner ;).

My newest rabbit was a neighbourhood stray as well, and she has setlled in wonderfully - sounds like Cadbury is as well, rolling in the hay :)

Good luck - any problems, just ask :)

Jan

Congrats on your new unexpected addition and welcome to the rabbit slave community!

Many times it's the animals that come to us when we least expect it that impact us the most. Cadbury sounds like a really great rabbit and thank you so much for taking her in.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Congratulations on becoming a bunny slave, its a great life. Thank you for rescuing the bunny.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

welcome! wow we had just adopted a rabbit out that was a stray. my friend took him in and should be joining soon. you found the right place to ask questions. if you can flip the bunny over on her/his back. most male rabbits will "show" u so to speak they are a boy. what i mean is its pretty easy to tell because their"package" shows if ya know what i mean. good luck with cadbury and i cant wait to hear more about the little one.

Latest posts

Back