Rabbit only rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I live in the Columbus area and volunteer at the local humane society which takes in rabbits, but the maximum is 8. We have a huge waiting list. And they live around cats and dogs. It isn't an ideal situation.

Anyway, there is a group I am involved in called the Ohio House Rabbit Rescue. They are trying to open a rabbit only rescue which we really need. They recently had an article published in a local paper. Today I went on to read it and read the comments. The comments are horrible. The majority of the comments are against what she is doing. Stating to help the homeless by giving the homeless these rabbits to eat, one lady saidthey have an endangered coyote shelter and to give the rabbits to her to feed the coyotes.

I am not asking people to start a war, I am just asking people to post support messages. I know the people who are starting this rescue and I help them out as much as I can as a volunteer. It breaks my heart they have worked so hard and are getting all of these mean comments. I want to see them getting good comments. I also want the local paper to see this is a good thing to publish.

When I left a comment, I didn't address any of the previous mean comments.I just left a comment of support. I am asking you to do the same. Let them know that people do care about what they are doing. That they are doing a good thing. I can't imagine them reading the responses they have gotten. I have been with these people as a volunteer watching them work so hard to get this shelter opened.

So please, go to the article and read it and leave some support. Here is the link http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/clintonville/stories/2011/02/09/rabbit-rescue-group-now-has-paid-director.html?sid=104

these comments are infuriating. just because animals aren't human doesn't mean they deserve to die? i hate speciesism

I had a really hard time reading the comments too. But I just posted a comment of support becuase I didn't want to start a big war.

It is just sad becuase I know how much a rabbit rescue means to these people. And then for someone to come on and say the things they do. I just want them to know they have support. That there are rabbit lovers all over the world. I also don't want this local newpaper to be afraid to post rabbit stories in the future based on the negative responses they have received. I am hoping the more positive responses they have, the more likely they are to print something rabbit related in the future.

Thanks again Holly for posting a comment!

I commented too, I hope it helps.

I'm originally from Ohio and unfortunately I am not shocked at the comments. Animals are treated differently in farm areas. The comments go beyond that into horrible though. I'm glad rabbit rescue is catching on there too. Columbus is where it starts, and hopefully the kinder attitude will spread.

I really wouldn't worry about replying too much, to be honest. These people are just internet trolls with nothing better to do and they are trying to get a rise out of people. Don't take it too seriously.

Some are obvious trollers. Unfortunately others do view them and animals in general with little regard other than tools or food.

Thanks guys for posting. I am not to worried about the mean comments as I know some of them are trolls. What bothered me was that the people who are doing all this work, look at the article about them and see no support. I want them to be able to see the support. I want them to know people are behind them and appreciate what they are doing. I am a volunteer for that organization and those comments made me feel...(what is the word) sad. Sad that something I work so hard towards and spend my time doing, is viewed in such a negative way.

Part of it is also that I want newspaper organizations like this to feel good about posting rabbit related articles. I want them to see readers support the posting of articles like this. I don't want to argue with the mean postors, just post comments of support.

I really do thank all of you that posted a comment. It means a lot to me and I know it means a lot to Bev and Heather, the owner and director.

Brandy, it might be that I live in Dublin, which isn't a big farm area. But I was totally taken back by the comments. It could be that I am really niave too and believe that people will support anything good, even if it isn't a passion they have. I totally agree with you that Columbus really needs a rabbit rescue. Right now, most of the rabbits are housed at Capital Area Humane Society with the cats and dogs. The humane society is geared towards cats and dogs. Most of the workers there don't even know how to pick up a rabbit and if someone is interested in a rabbit they call me or another lady to come in just to get the rabbit out of the cage. It is crazy!! There is also not a lot of prescreening. The only screening done is making sure your landlord is okay with you having a rabbit, if you own a home, they just verify you own it and you can take a rabbit home. This new organization will have better prescreening and provide more information to people who want to adopt a rabbit. I say more reasons why we need a rabbit only rescue, but I will leave it at that. I just can't wait until it is open!

The thing that frustrates me is when it comes to caring about causes, people who disagree always seem to say things like "well x cause is more important! Let's focus on that". If the worst situation in the world is the only one people gave money too, the world would be in a pretty bad state. Whenever I go on about animal welfare/feminist issues people always say things like OH WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST FOCUS ON THE FLOOD IN PAKISTAN THAT'S MUCH MORE IMPORTANT. and it shi+s me to tears.

I commented.

I didn't read the infuriating comments - you told me all I need to know.

And I know you asked not to address the negative comments, but I just had to share some perspective on the whole "causes" issue.

I wrote:
There are MANY needs in this world!

If everybody focused on feeding the homeless, battered women would go unhelped.

If everybody focused on helping battered women, environmental concerns would be overlooked.

If everybody devoted their time and efforts to raising environmental awareness, who would reach out to sponsor a child in [insert starving country here]?

If all people donated to World Concern or Compassion to feed and educate and bring clean water to foreign children, who would spread the word about breast cancer, or march of dimes, or travel to encourage people with disabilities, or teach kids to say no to drugs?

There are A LOT of causes out there, and they are all valid. It takes a diverse scope of people with differing concerns to meet all the needs there are out there. If anybody says they are wasting their time on animals, let that person prove they are making a difference in EVERY cause that is "worthy" by their standards.

Whether you believe it or not, whether you care or not... animals experience suffering. And some people happen to care. There is nothing wrong with that. And I personally have much gratitude for those who have enough compassion to help those who are helpless or suffering - animal OR human.

If anybody says animals are a waste of time, then by all means - devote your time and money to a worthy cause. Don't get mad because someone has a different cause.

I am not trying to start a flame war, because I won't be back to read any responses. A troll won't see reason, but perhaps a reasonable person will read my thoughts and consider them.

And the Rabbit Rescue will be encouraged to see that although there are many needs in this world, they are doing more good than most people who judge them will do in a lifetime.

AmberNBuns wrote:
I commented.

I didn't read the infuriating comments - you told me all I need to know.

And I know you asked not to address the negative comments, but I just had to share some perspective on the whole "causes" issue.

I wrote:
There are MANY needs in this world!

If everybody focused on feeding the homeless, battered women would go unhelped.

If everybody focused on helping battered women, environmental concerns would be overlooked.

If everybody devoted their time and efforts to raising environmental awareness, who would reach out to sponsor a child in [insert starving country here]?

If all people donated to World Concern or Compassion to feed and educate and bring clean water to foreign children, who would spread the word about breast cancer, or march of dimes, or travel to encourage people with disabilities, or teach kids to say no to drugs?

There are A LOT of causes out there, and they are all valid. It takes a diverse scope of people with differing concerns to meet all the needs there are out there. If anybody says they are wasting their time on animals, let that person prove they are making a difference in EVERY cause that is "worthy" by their standards.

Whether you believe it or not, whether you care or not... animals experience suffering. And some people happen to care. There is nothing wrong with that. And I personally have much gratitude for those who have enough compassion to help those who are helpless or suffering - animal OR human.

If anybody says animals are a waste of time, then by all means - devote your time and money to a worthy cause. Don't get mad because someone has a different cause.

I am not trying to start a flame war, because I won't be back to read any responses. A troll won't see reason, but perhaps a reasonable person will read my thoughts and consider them.

And the Rabbit Rescue will be encouraged to see that although there are many needs in this world, they are doing more good than most people who judge them will do in a lifetime.

wow, expressed exquisitely :)

Many thanks! The whole issue has been a peeve of mine for a long time. Also, it is better to do good for a "small" cause than to have no cause at all. :big wink:

[align=center]I commented as well =O I'm "Bailee" XD If you wanna see what I wrote =]

Latest posts

Back