Rabbit not eating post neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Najera

Reaction score
I just neutered my boy and he seems really normal(moving around), but he is not eating anything. This makes everything worse because I can't give him the analgesic unless he has his "belly full".
Any ideas to get him to eat?

How long has it been since the operation, or since he last ate something?
Is it just food he won't eat, or does it include hay?
If it hasn't been 12 or more hours since he last ate, I'd wait a while longer.
If it becomes necessary, I had a similar issue with my rabbit when he got neutered, I crushed up some of his food pellets, and mixed it with plenty of water so it could easily move through a tiny syringe without a needle on it. I used that to feed him. It takes a while to feed them, but it helps. Though I'd suggest only doing that if it is really necessary.

Maybe you could encourage him with a small treat of something good? Or do the same as above but mix it with a tiny bit of mashed banana instead, and try and let him eat it himself?

How long has it been since the operation, or since he last ate something?
Is it just food he won't eat, or does it include hay?
If it hasn't been 12 or more hours since he last ate, I'd wait a while longer.
If it becomes necessary, I had a similar issue with my rabbit when he got neutered, I crushed up some of his food pellets, and mixed it with plenty of water so it could easily move through a tiny syringe without a needle on it. I used that to feed him. It takes a while to feed them, but it helps. Though I'd suggest only doing that if it is really necessary.

Maybe you could encourage him with a small treat of something good? Or do the same as above but mix it with a tiny bit of mashed banana instead, and try and let him eat it himself?

The surgery was yesterday at 2pm, he did much in some hay, but refused anything after that (even treats). I decided that the best thing I could do is was to syringe feed him some pellets ground with water. He is a little better now, but still not eating on his own. I will keep a close watch on him

The surgery was yesterday at 2pm, he did much in some hay, but refused anything after that (even treats). I decided that the best thing I could do is was to syringe feed him some pellets ground with water. He is a little better now, but still not eating on his own. I will keep a close watch on him

It might take a few days, if he isn't eating on his own in two or three days, I'd contact the vet again.
Once you've gotten some food in him, and given him his analgesic, he might improve. But keep an eye on it, and feed him regularly.

Sorry to snipe your topic, but my bunny, Oreo is also not eating and is sitting in the same spot, almost 24 hours after her spay. She did drink some water immediately after getting home, and ate a yogurt treat, but she has not touched her real food. Should I just try giving her favorite treats, even if they are not ideal for her? I want something in her belly, please.

Sorry to snipe your topic, but my bunny, Oreo is also not eating and is sitting in the same spot, almost 24 hours after her spay. She did drink some water immediately after getting home, and ate a yogurt treat, but she has not touched her real food. Should I just try giving her favorite treats, even if they are not ideal for her? I want something in her belly, please.
No worries, by the way my rabbit is also called panda.
Such a coincidence

It might take a few days, if he isn't eating on his own in two or three days, I'd contact the vet again.
Once you've gotten some food in him, and given him his analgesic, he might improve. But keep an eye on it, and feed him regularly.
Thank you I will

You should definitely contact a vet, if your rabbit hasn't eating for 24 hours. Even just 12 hours without food can be deadly to a rabbit.
Again force feeding might be an option, make sure she has a place she can keep her tummy warmed. Treats can be a help to trigger the rabbit wanting to eat, but it shouldn't be a supplement, even if it's the only thing they'll eat.

She might be in pain, so if you haven't given her any pain meds, and haven't been given any by your vet, contact them as soon as you can to figure something out.

Rabbits also react very very differently to anesthesia. Some almost don't react at all, while others have severe reactions that can be scary, like not wanting to eat, sitting still, or even laying down and seeming weak. (That's how my own rabbit reacted.)
Is she eating hay? Do you have any extra good hay, or herbs or vegetables that she might like? (Excluding carrots and things with a lot of sugar)

You should definitely contact a vet, if your rabbit hasn't eating for 24 hours. Even just 12 hours without food can be deadly to a rabbit.
Again force feeding might be an option, make sure she has a place she can keep her tummy warmed. Treats can be a help to trigger the rabbit wanting to eat, but it shouldn't be a supplement, even if it's the only thing they'll eat.

She might be in pain, so if you haven't given her any pain meds, and haven't been given any by your vet, contact them as soon as you can to figure something out.

Rabbits also react very very differently to anesthesia. Some almost don't react at all, while others have severe reactions that can be scary, like not wanting to eat, sitting still, or even laying down and seeming weak. (That's how my own rabbit reacted.)
Is she eating hay? Do you have any extra good hay, or herbs or vegetables that she might like? (Excluding carrots and things with a lot of sugar)
Thank you for your quick response. I took her to a Spay & Neuter clinic, they said to contact them if she has not eaten in 24 hours. I had to go to work, but I will drive home really quick during my lunch to check on her. I practically begged for additional pain medication, but they assured me she would be fine with only the 24 hour pain injection as she is a young rabbit, which is funny because when I had my ovary removed, I was in pain for AT LEAST a week.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will put the heating pad on very low, under her belly, and will buy her favorite herbs -- spring mix and cilantro-- she also loves alfalfa hay, but I know it is not good in high amounts. No, she is not eating hay-- or at least did not within 8 hours after coming home; just glanced today and did not see a noticeable amount of food gone but will check for food and poops-- she also only had a single poop yesterday. Thanks so much, I will update you-- I really love my diva Oreo :(

No worries, by the way my rabbit is also called panda.
Such a coincidence

**Sorry for the double-post**

Thank you for letting me post. Just trying to avoid frustrating the Moderators with repeat topics, and I truly hope your bunny is alright. All bunnies react differently; I just got Panda neutered along with his Mom yesterday, but he was eating almost immediately. Gary, his "step-dad" did not really eat for about a day, but I would definitely contact the vet. Did you go to a multi-animal vet or an exotic vet? Is he grinding his teeth in pain? Hoping Panda will recover soon.

Thank you for your quick response. I took her to a Spay & Neuter clinic, they said to contact them if she has not eaten in 24 hours. I had to go to work, but I will drive home really quick during my lunch to check on her. I practically begged for additional pain medication, but they assured me she would be fine with only the 24 hour pain injection as she is a young rabbit, which is funny because when I had my ovary removed, I was in pain for AT LEAST a week.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will put the heating pad on very low, under her belly, and will buy her favorite herbs -- spring mix and cilantro-- she also loves alfalfa hay, but I know it is not good in high amounts. No, she is not eating hay-- or at least did not within 8 hours after coming home; just glanced today and did not see a noticeable amount of food gone but will check for food and poops-- she also only had a single poop yesterday. Thanks so much, I will update you-- I really love my diva Oreo :(

You're right that it sounds like not enough, but I'm not a vet and there might be some medication out there that works for longer.
Since she's not eating, I'm sure the vets at the clinic you took her to will tell you the same, it can be a good idea to get a thing with this mush in it, that helps restart her hind gut. It's called fibreplex, I don't know if there is anything with another name close to where you live. I used it myself on my boy.
And next time you take any of your rabbits to a clinic, make sure they're rabbit savvy, not all vets are unfortunately. https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ There is a list on this site.

And please do keep me updated, I hope everything goes well with little Oreo.

You're right that it sounds like not enough, but I'm not a vet and there might be some medication out there that works for longer.
Since she's not eating, I'm sure the vets at the clinic you took her to will tell you the same, it can be a good idea to get a thing with this mush in it, that helps restart her hind gut. It's called fibreplex, I don't know if there is anything with another name close to where you live. I used it myself on my boy.
And next time you take any of your rabbits to a clinic, make sure they're rabbit savvy, not all vets are unfortunately. https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ There is a list on this site.

And please do keep me updated, I hope everything goes well with little Oreo.
After work, I got some kale and green leaf lettuce, and Oreo ate two tiny stalks of kale and nibbled on some pellets She is also drinking an almost normal amount of water and still pooping (not a whole lot, though). Thanks so much for the resistance, I will still look into a fiber supplement when my usual vet opens.

**Sorry for the double-post**

Thank you for letting me post. Just trying to avoid frustrating the Moderators with repeat topics, and I truly hope your bunny is alright. All bunnies react differently; I just got Panda neutered along with his Mom yesterday, but he was eating almost immediately. Gary, his "step-dad" did not really eat for about a day, but I would definitely contact the vet. Did you go to a multi-animal vet or an exotic vet? Is he grinding his teeth in pain? Hoping Panda will recover soon.
Thank you, no panda is not grinding his teeth on pain. I went to a multi-animal vet because where I'm living at the moment (Ecuador), is really hard to find an exotic vet or even a vet that will treat bunnies.

Back