Rabbit not eating as quickly as usual...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopeG

Reaction score
I have a Holland lop who is about to be 2 years old in February. When I would go to feed him in the evenings, he would jump up to the bowl and begin eating. Lately, he hasn't been doing that. He doesn't seem to be in much of a rush to eat anymore. He is eating though, when I go to feed him in the morning, his food bowl is empty. His poops have been normal, there have been a few that are smaller than the others, but otherwise poops are okay. Do household rabbits lose a bit of appetite in the winter? I got him a different kind of greens mix than what I usually get him. Could it maybe be just a picky issue? I think I will try to get what I usually get him and see if he eats that better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

So have you changed his diet? If so that could definitely explain it, something like "oh gee those aren't my usual pellets - pouting - well I guess they're not going to give me anything else so I better eat these..."

Actually, when it's colder rabbits usually eat more, as they burn more calories to keep warm.

Does he have smaller than usual poop every day? He may be experiencing a digestive slowdown and that is causing him to have an upset stomach. Do you also feed hay?

Haven't changed diet, except for choice of greens. I gave him a couple different choices he hasn't had in awhile as I couldn't get my normal choices, the supermarket was low on produce. I do feed hay always, fresh water and pellets/greens twice a day. His poops have been normal. I'm thinking maybe it is just an issue of him being picky. Typically he jumps up to the bowl as soon as I walk in with his food, but last few days he just sits there and eventually will go up and eat. This evening he ate more willingly, so hopefully all is well.

What pellets do you feed and have you started a new bag recently?
I have noticed that Oxbow pellets have been a bit different in the last month or so and some rabbits don't like them as much. Other brands could change a bit from bag to bag as well.

Hmmm.....interesting. I do feed Oxbow and I did just open a new bag about a week and a half ago. I never realized that the pellets would change from bag to bag enough for the buns to notice. He ate a lot better this evening, which is a good sign. Spinach is one of the recent choice of greens and he seems to leave all the spinach til last to eat...:confused: guessing he doesn't like spinach.

It seems to be the run that started in October that is different, the stuff from before seems ok. It's more than just bag to bag, the whole run is different, like every bag. The pellets are a bit thinner and darker. You could try finding an older bag to see if it helps. It could just be that he doesn't really like them and needs some time to adjust. If he is eating them, then try to stick with it.

Hmm. I wonder what they changed, or if it is just the hay they are using that is different. Maybe I could email them to find out.

Latest posts

Back