rabbit needs new home!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbean84

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the site, but am looking forsome help in finding a new home for a rabbit. I am currently the ownerof an adorable, loving charcoal lop ear. Unfortunately, as a collegestudent I have run into various problems over the past year. I havevery limited space, and lots of cords around, which provide a constantdanger for Poco. I would love to find a new caring home for him withsomeone that does have adequate space...he desearves better than what Ican give him!

His name is Poco
litter trained
about 2.5 yrs
friendly, and loves to be loved
likes running inside and out (even without a lead!)
I also have a cage to give with him, I just bought it in May of this year and the dimentions are about 3'x2'x1.5'

If anyone is interested or knows someone that would be (preferably inthe Ohio area - Cleveland/Akron), please let me know! I appreciate yourhelp. You can contact me here, or via email at [email protected]

Thank you for your help! :)

Hi gbean, sorry you were forgotten in the bunny rush!

Is there anyway you can build a very high but narrow cage from NICpanels (Neat Idea Cubes) against a wall? The different levelswill keep him exercised and entertained, butit won't take upmuch space and he won't have access to cords. (I've got acord chewer too). :grumpy I'll try and find a goodexample of a narrow NIC set-up.

Or can you share custody with a relative or someone nearhome? The way things are in the bunny world right now, it'sreally not likely he'll find a better home than the one hehas. And even if he does, it will just be taking a space awayfrom another bunny who could have been rescued from a 'kill'shelter. :cry4:Andwhat may seem like abetter home isn't alwaysthe case. As I'vesaid before, living without fear in a safe space, with proper nutritionand medicalmonitoringand with a few diversions liketoys and occasional pats andfamiliar faces) is right up therere:the good life for rabbits.

Somebody new to rabbits may mean they find aftera week or sixmonths thatgetting a rabbit wasn't a good idea or theirsituation has changed -- moving, marriage, babies,allergies...That happens a lot. Or he'llend up in a cage in a shelter full of scary dogs with little humancontact where his days will be numbered, anyway. Or they'lllet him loose and he'll end up full of parasites and eventually killedin a terrifying manner by a predator. :cry4::cry4:

Rescue orgs are full and probably can't take him, so you'relikelyon your own, there. If you've been puttingads up and the like, check out the post of tips at the top of this pagefor some advice. People may try toscamyou into thinking he'll have a good home and then having him end up asfood for man or beast.

So if you're truly thinking of giving him up for his sake, for his sakeyou should do everything you can to try and keep him.

If you really have to give him away and it's not just to try for abetter life for him, then we can work on spreading the word.

Is he neutered? If not, can you get him neutered?Or at the very least offer to split the costs if per chance a new owneris found?

Let us know!

sas

Poco is neutered, Idefinitely made sure to do that, he was about 6 months or so when I didit. He is now about 2.5 yrs. now.

I do want him to have a better home. But it goes beyond what I statedbefore - but I guess I should explain. Unfortunately, I have no room atschool for Poco - there is not a single space that isn't already takenup in my room!

My bf was kind enough to look after him for the past couple months,because I had no one else that could/wanted to take him. His uncle ismoving in with him due to financial/personal reasons, and so my bf nolonger has room either (the cage is in his spare room, which is nowneeded).

Now, I am out of options. I have tried to keep Poco, have taken thebest care I can of him - but he now goes for days without interactionbecause I am hardly around, and my bf is busy working. If I am unableto find a loving home for him (I was going to ask for a small donationto ensure the sincerity of the adopter, possibly to a animal rescueorganization) - but if unable, I am forced to keep him. I just spendalmost $100 in May of this year on a new cage, and cannot afford a newcage - nor do I have room either way. I appreciate the suggestions. Istill am hopeful that someone will want to open their hearts up forPoco and want to give him a loving new home (although I know that ishard to come by sometimes!)

Thanks for the advice, but I am remaining hopeful! :) I will be postingpictures and telling all about his personality, just so everyone canget to know him, and maybe fall in love! :bunnyheart

gbean84 wrote:
Poco is neutered, I definitely made sureto do that, he was about 6 months or so when I did it. He is now about2.5 yrs. now.

Now, I am out of options. I have tried to keep Poco, have taken thebest care I can of him - but he now goes for days without interactionbecause I am hardly around, and my bf is busy working. If I am unableto find a loving home for him (I was going to ask for a small donationto ensure the sincerity of the adopter, possibly to a animal rescueorganization) - but if unable, I am forced to keep him. I just spendalmost $100 in May of this year on a new cage, and cannot afford a newcage - nor do I have room either way.
Good to know you're a great, responsiblebunny slave andthere's no danger of Poco becoming snake food or let loose in a fieldsomewhere.

:kiss:

You may already know about NIC cages, you seem pretty bunny savvy, butyou can build a very roomy cage for $20 to $40, depending on thedesign.(You can always sell the one you'vegot). Maybe there's a space you didn't think of before thatmay be a better fit as long as you still have him.

I like using the pic below as an example. The tenant of thisbunny palace, Elf,is a VERY large rabbit, so this is a REALLYlarge cage, but I think the way they made it fit the space was prettybrilliant. ;)

gbean84 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but I am remaininghopeful! :) I will be posting pictures and telling all about hispersonality, just so everyone can get to know him, and maybe fall inlove!
This is an excellent way to go about it! First off, MOREBIGGER PICS! :camera We LOVE pics! :camera

Very glad you signed up, we will do our best to find ahappy solution for Poco!

Here's Elf's cage...

Hello gbean! Welcome to the site!

I hope you find a solution for your Poco soon. I know, it'sfrustrating when you have a situation like that. If I livedany closer, I would offer to at last temporarily house him so you cando what you need to, but be able to visit him and such.

Unfortunately, you're quite far from me. :(

Again, welcome! :)

Rosie*

P.S. You can try tinypic.com for your pictures...it's quiteeasy to use, and will do them at their original size, andeverything. You could also check out the "How to Post Photos"thread for more ideas (if you haven't already, that is) at:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11950&forum_id=14:)

Iwant to add - as most people know, rehoming can cause stress, but Pocois actually quite used to it. From me being a college student he hasalready had 5 homes in the past 2.5 yrs, and one summer before myyounger sister went away to college she took care of him for me - andhe adjusted quite well after only a couple weeks. So, that might takethat issue down a bit! Hope that helps. :D

As promised - I took some more photos of Poco. Also, Ifinally made them bigger, so I will post the older ones too.

I hope everyone likes lots of photos, I definitely have a collection,and I am willing to share! These are photos just from a couple daysago. Enjoy!

351hhdg.jpg

4g4xpqr.jpg

2e1hpaf.jpg

33k3dds.jpg

2edbnts.jpg

That's him after taking a yogurt treat out of my hand - he LOVES those- as soon as he hears the bag crinkle he's sniffing all over for it! Heknows when its treat time!

Here are the others that I tried to post, that came out sooo small.

2s60hw5.jpg

2mhcznm.jpg

I will post up some more after I scan them of when he was a bit younger- even have an ADORABLE one of him when he was a baby, its a littlefuzzy, but you definitely get the picture!:inlove: I have to find allmy old ones, some of him out in the snow, a great b/w one I took for aphoto class a couple years ago, the list goes on! I will get them up assoon as I get the chance. :)

Have you tried contacting Buckeye House RabbitSociety?www.ohare.org to read aboutthe organization andhttp://www.ohare.org/contact.htm#topto contact foster parents.

They may not be able to take him into foster carebecause ofthe hoarder situation and the recent rabbit surrender from the samecounty. However, they have an entire process for giving youthe the tools you need to rehome a rabbit.

If you talk to a fosterer with Buckeye, make sure tomentionyour rabbitis neutered and boxtrained. That's a real plus and saves money for thegroup.

Latest posts

Back