Rabbit mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachacutie

Reaction score
My rabbit had mites otherwise known as walking dandruff. I took her to the vet and they gave me medicine to apply on her back. This was nearly three weeks ago and yet she still has dandruff on her back. How can I know the mites are gone? When will the dandruff go away?

Keep in mind that even if the medication kills all of the bugs, the dandruff particles will still be stuck in the fur. Try brushing as much of the gunk out of your bun's fur as they'll allow and see if it comes back, but be gentle on the bunny skin (and do it outside in case the bugs are still alive!). If you have access to something that magnifies (magnifier glass, loupe, microscope, or really good eyes), you could look for bugs yourself--cheaper than going back to the vet.

I'm interested in what medication that was too. I just went through this with my house herd and used injectable Ivermectin, but even that has to be followed up with multiple shots and a thorough cleaning of the cage/litterbox/accessible areas until the mites all die of poisoning or age. Mites suck!

What was the medicine? Was it only applied once?
It’s called synergy or something like that, it’s like flea medicine for small dogs. Every three weeks you’re supposed to apply it so I did again today. Hopefully that works

If that's selamectin, that's the appropriate treatment for mites. If it was dosed correctly and the skin condition was actually caused by mites, it should be working. Is your rabbit still showing signs of skin irritation, like excessive scratching? Are you seeing any new fur regrowth?

Latest posts

Back