Rabbit matted.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmajane

Reaction score
I had minor surgery and was un'alleanza to brush D'Aosta, our fuzzy holland lop. I am sure i will have to work on her for days in 15 minute sessions. I tried to get our verso to clip her, but the groomer says she doesn't do rabbits. My question is, her genital area is matted but with urine and a little poop. It is dry and I clippers at it with rounded edge sissors and made progress. What if I use a warm wet rag on the area to sostenibile it so I can use my fingersi to part the matted area so I can see what I am cutting ? Any advice appreciated.

I had minor surgery and was un'alleanza to brush D'Aosta, our fuzzy holland lop. I am sure i will have to work on her for days in 15 minute sessions. I tried to get our verso to clip her, but the groomer says she doesn't do rabbits. My question is, her genital area is matted but with urine and a little poop. It is dry and I clippers at it with rounded edge sissors and made progress. What if I use a warm wet rag on the area to sostenibile it so I can use my fingersi to part the matted area so I can see what I am cutting ? Any advice appreciated.
Rabbit is Daisy and verso is vet. I had the text set on Italian!

You could try getting it wet, but I think that actually makes it harder to tease the mats out. If you're concerned about accidentally snipping the skin, if you can slip a thin comb between the skin and blunt tip scissors, that will help protect the skin.

What rabbit vet can't clip a rabbit that's brought in? That seems odd. Maybe you can find a more experienced rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
If the urine stained fur and stuck poop aren't from an old health issue that's been resolved, but this is a reoccurring current problem, your rabbit may have a health issue that needs addressing. Rabbits are typically very clean animals, so having urine soaked fur or mushy poop stuck in the fur, usually is an indication of a health issue or diet imbalance.

She has never been very good at cleaning herself. Was check out by the vet a few weeks ago and got antibiotic ointment for her genital area. It healed. I need toget her clean to check it out. I. Will try the comb to protect her skin. Thanks!

I have an appointment at a different vet who treats rabbits to have Daisy clipped and mats removed. Bet it will cost a lot. Maybe less that 40$, but we will see.

Thanks.... Daisy and my granddaughter are going to live with my son and family and I am hoping someone brushes Daisy. My 10 year old granddaughter doesn't do as well as she should with that. She will use the furminator on her back, but not her belly and bottom. (We use a flea comb on the sensitive areas.)

I rinse the potion with warm tap water, hand crash the hard poop, and clean the area, finally using toilet paper to dry it up. It's all good, no problem.

According to another site sea butter is safe.... hope I did not make a mistake. We got most of the poo out with it. Will work on it again tomorrow. Of course,now we have greasy fur. Not sure what caused it in the first place. My husband thinks we should use vegetable or olive oil. Are they safe ?

solved the poop problem for the most part. Daisy's cage is too small and she couldn't clean herself very well. We now let her out all day in a room blocked off from the rest of the house and the Yorkie. She is doing a good job, but I check her daily. We took her to a new vet today to be groomed. The vet takes care of rabbits, but the groomer had never done a rabbit before. As I mentioned earlier, Daisy had so many mats and the clippers we tried wouldn't go through the mats. The groomer said she finally gave up on the bunnies back. She left the fur on Daisy's back about a half inch long. The sad thing is, the clippers made a raw area on her stomach. The groomer took Daisy to the vet and the vet said it would heal and that I didn't need to put anything on it. It's not bleeding or anything. He thinks it will scab over. We put her in her cage with a clean flannel. cloth underneath her. She acts normal. Any advice? Please don't say to find a different groomer or vet. We are in rural Kansas and rabbit vets are very scarce. This vet is well recommended by people who have rabbits. Anyway, it does seem like we should put something on it. Thanks to any who respond.

You had a difficult situation and managed to find a solution. I think in badly matted animals, it would be hard to avoid some clipper burn from happening. It sounds like the groomer did pretty good considering.

If there's a big patch of bare skin with no fur, you could apply a natural moisturizer. Olive oil or coconut oil would work, but they're also likely to be immediately groomed off by your bun. So you would need to distract your bun with food after, or use a pet shirt or something to cover it up for a bit, to give it time to moisturize the skin.

I wouldn't apply anything greasy around fur or it's likely to make the fur a mess. Though if it really needs it, something natural and pet safe(safe if ingested), and glycerin based would be the least messy I think. And then just keep an eye on any wounds to make sure there's no sign of infection starting.

Thank you JBun. I was suggested to use coconut oil by a knowledgeable friend. She is more an expert on cats, but they groom and lick themselves too. I may well use the coconut oil. I need to get a fresh jar.

Update: Daisy is healing up nicely. We didn't put anything on the razor burn. She is enjoying running around on the floor for several hours a day.

Latest posts

Back