Rabbit lost hind leg coordination, but walking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

My little Timmy who is only 3 years and 4 months old seems to haveinjured either his spine or hip. The anti-inflammatory medicationhasn't done anything, so it's not arthritis. I have to confine him to alittle penned in area, or else he'll damage the apartment with peeing.He used to be free-roaming, so even keeping him penned is a difficultadjustment, probably more for me than him.

I put plastic under the rug he's on, but it's kinda gross that I haveto clean up this pee with "petastic" every day. I'm entertainingthoughts of putting him in a cage now. The thought breaks my heartsince he won't be the same bun he was (free-roaming).

Has anyone here had to make this adjustment? He's only 3+ years old!

- Will

P.S. Thanks in advance for the feedback. The members of this site have always been so kind and responsive.

Hi, have you thought about getting flanneletsheets, putting them down on the floor folded with plastic in themiddle. Once they get soiled all you have to do is throw themin the wash. This way he can still have some freedom.

Soooska:apollo:

Is the vet certain it's an injury? Hashe been tested for E. cuniculi? It's a parasite that causes arange of neurological problems including head tilt andparalysis. There are several meds available to treat it so itis worth checking out. There's more info in the HealthReferences thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14471&forum_id=10

This site shows how to set up pens for disabled rabbits.There's some really good ideas for flooring that would make it easierfor you to clean. IMO a pen like this is probably easier toclean than a cage with a top on it. I know M.E. set upsomething similar for Peanut who had mobility problems due to head tilt.
http://www.mohrskc.org/hrswebpg19.html

Also did the vet say the lack of bladder control was from the sameproblem that hurt his mobility? I've heard bladder infectionsare common among disabled buns so if that hasn't been ruled out itmight be a good idea to have him checked just in case.

It's sounds like he has a great bunny dad!

Back