Rabbit Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romeo-Girl

Reaction score
This is their first litter. They did plenty of research but I'M concerned about everything being normal.

My friend's rabbit had babies and she started pulling her fur(only tiny amounts)about two weeks before the due date was even near. Later on, she pulled plenty of her fur one day before and even more a few hours before the birth. So, she sounded pretty ready for her babies.

She was a good mom, giving birth to sevenpink little babies.Two babies died young, only five or six days old ("peanuts?"). The five were healthy for the past two weeks that they've been brought into the world. They noticed the smallest one, most likely the runt, getting skinnier. The monitered mommy's feeding time and noticed that she wasn't feeding it. Later on today, the baby died. Is this normal?

Out of a litter of seven, the mother's FIRST litter (and the owner's), is it normal that only four of them are healthy so far, two weeks in?

Romeo-Girl wrote:
This is their first litter. They did plenty of research but I'M concerned about everything being normal.

My friend's rabbit had babies and she started pulling her fur (only tiny amounts)about two weeks before the due date was even near. Later on, she pulled plenty of her fur one day before and even more a few hours before the birth. So, she sounded pretty ready for her babies.

She was a good mom, giving birth to sevenpink little babies.Two babies died young, only five or six days old ("peanuts?"). The five were healthy for the past two weeks that they've been brought into the world. They noticed the smallest one, most likely the runt, getting skinnier. The monitered mommy's feeding time and noticed that she wasn't feeding it. Later on today, the baby died. Is this normal?

Out of a litter of seven, the mother's FIRST litter (and the owner's), is it normal that only four of them are healthy so far, two weeks in?
sorry about the losses,,unfortunately-this may be the way it is(barring health problems)--my rex doe had 5 babies,within a week only 4,then after a few months only 3 remaining--i tried in vane to save them--its as if there is something evil at work--it still bothers me and thats how i got involved in wildlife preservation--sincerely james waller

I have a dwarf rabbit her name is Ebony. We adopted her from some people who got it for their son and when he lost interest the just set it outside. She would be a year old I guess.

I noticed her hiding under the car in -40c weather so I asked them if I could have her.

We have had two rabbits in our house over the years.

But I have never seen a female take her fir out until now. This little girl has been with us for about 2 weeks. She had been running free outside for about 2 months until we adopted her. She has been very friendly and we let her run around the house. But for the last 3 days she has been grumpy, growling at me if I even think of touching her or her pen and is taking her fir out. Could she be pregnant from a wild rabbit. Do rabbits get grumpy when pregnant?

Yes she could be pregnant or she could be having a false pregnancy. I would set her up with a nest box just in case and maybe take her to the vet to check her out.

Thanks Cindy.

I setup a plastic bin in her house with pine chips and hay and put the fur she pulled out in it. She jumped right in and is rubbing it with her chin. I also covered the area with a cardboard box on the outside of the pen.

She has been sitting in it for the last 20min inspecting my handy work and rearranging the hay.

Just took a peek she is sleeping in there.

I will keep you posted if she has any babies. I wonder what wild rabbit and dwarf babies will look like if she is pregnant?

gallery_view.php
14497_121802_070000000.jpg

Ebony in her nesting basket that was my potato bin. She looks happy.

Ebony has been with us for one month now so I don't think she is pregnant.

She isn't working on a nest anymore. I just think she was happy she was not outside anymore fending for herself in -40c weather.

She really likes her new condo I built for her and is very bossy about it. lol.
I clean her condo when I let her out for playtime. That way she does not see me messing with it.

Nope...domestics and wilds have a different number of chromosomes...so no baby bunnies happening that way!:)

Our girl Gypsy was a late spay...
And at least once a year she builds a beautiful nest and fusses around with it for a week or so and then when she is done...we clean it up!

100_6231.jpg

Ha, my Akina built a fur nest for my sisters cat once. I have to find pics- he used to go in and sleep with her. She built the nest and they went to sleep together, she grooming his paws! It was the sweetest thing ever. Unspayed bunnies will pluck their fur even if its not false preg too, in Akina's case. She may just want to be comfy!

Latest posts

Back