Rabbit litter box training.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverblue127

Reaction score
Hi Guys! My rabbit has learned to use the litter box for peeing, but will hardly ever use it for pooping. He uses it sometimes. I have tried putting food in it at the edge and putting his dropping back into the litter box. It's strange, because he always pee's in the box. What should I do?

Is he neutered? Unneutered bunnies will often poop to mark territory so it can be hard to litter train them. So far you're doing the right things, but it may not be effective until he's fixed.

Is there hay in the litter box? Try putting all of his hay in there (or only reachable from the litter box). Bunnies eat and poop, so that can help.

Thanks for the response.
No he is not fixed. But that is something I am going to be doing soon. I had not thought of that as a reason before. Makes sense! Thank you:) And yes I put hay in his box and that is pretty much the only time he goes poo in the box.

For the time being, you can pick up the stray poops and place them in the box to help him get the idea. But, as mentioned above, until he's neutered, he'll likely keep doing this.;)

Latest posts

Back