Rabbit kit care, need help/advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary17

Reaction score
Hello, I am kinda new to rabbits and have some questions.

I have had a couple adult males for about 3 years so I know how to care for adults, but my wife got a female and put her in the cage with my males.Kinda thought it was OK since it was winter, didnt think they would breed in winter, a friend said they wouldnt... So I the female got pregnent and I didnt find out until today when I opened there hutch to for there 2 week cleaning, there were 4 live babbies and 3 dead ones. They must be just barely 2 weeks old becuase there eyes are open. So long storie short, what should I do?

I removed the males from her pen, but should I leave them out there? Im in Michigan, and while the winter has been kinda mild I'm afraid the cold may kill the rest of them. But I'm also afraid to move the mother with the young in the house, she's kinda jumpy and Im afraid the stress will make her harm the kits, and I'm also afraid to bring them in by there selves because I dont know how to hand raise the babies.

Advice?

Hi and welcome!

I moved this thread into the Rabbitry for you- more breeders read this section.

I've never raised babies, but the article at the top of the Rabbitry forum will take you through the basics. For now, all I can recommend is providing lots of hay for the babies to snuggle into. They will help keep each other warm.

So sorry about your lost ones.

:purplepansy:

Hi! I started a post to you earlier and then my computer locked up and I lost it. :?

First of all - taking the bucks out was a great decision.....:D

If the babies have their eyes open - I'm guessing they're at least 10 days old. By now, I would think you could move the mom and the babies into the house. You do have the option of giving them a nestbox (it could be a shoebox even) with hay in it - but if it is going to get cold - I'd bring them in. Then again - I have my rabbitry in my house and my babies are within a few feet of my desk!

The mom should not get too upset at having the babies moved at this age. They will still want to nurse off of her - but they can also eat hay and some oatmeal flakes (uncooked). Don't use the instant oatmeal - use the long-cooking kind if you choose to use it.

Do NOT feed the mom greens and fruit for treats unless you stay right there with her until they are gone and make sure the little ones don't eat the treats. However - I find my little ones LOVE hay and they LOVE oatmeal (as does the mom).

At this age, I "free-feed" both mom and babies. They're getting a lot from her and she needs a lot of food and water in order to nurse them well.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. If you decide to leave them outside - they can huddle together and stay somewhat warm since they have fur now....BUT...I'd definitely add hay (or a blanket if you check it every couple of days to make sure they aren't eating it).

Peg

Thank you for your advice and I am sorry I posted this in the wrong section of your forums, thank you for placing it in the correct area.

I would like to thank the last poster for your detailed advice. I would however just like to say one more time that the female is very jumpy, we bought her from a guy who raises rabbits to butcher (and as a result was never socialized), and she acts a bit wild at times although she has calmed a bit recently, my males must have rubbed off on her, and just want to be sure its really for the best. I know wild animals often kill/leave there young when there stressed or disturbed so I am not really sure about moving her from the outdoor hutch to wich she has became used to.

Do you think she may hurt the kits as a result of stress or willthey be OK?

While I'm not very experienced with rabbit breeding, I'm highly experienced with poultry and know that hens may abondon chicks or eggs if there moved from there coop to a new area. So I'm just a bit worried...

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the mother regarding her babies... it sounds like she's doing a good job raising them, so I highly doubt she'll leave them.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! THAT WAS NOT MENTIONED EARLIER....

SHE COULDBE PREGNANT AGAIN NOW!

Doe's are highly fertile after kindling (giving birth) and often do rebreed within minutes to hours after delivering - that is if a buck is available and in the same cage with her. I would put a box in with her as a precaution of her being pregnant. Giveher a place to safely have the babies in... a wooden box or even a shoe box as a temporary solution would work just fine.

She may need slightly increased feed now that she's nursinga litter and that litter will soon be eating solids... but don't feed her too much - you don't want her to develope mastisis or put on fat buildup on her body as that will cause complications of delivery for the next litter - count on her delivering in 17-21 days from now (betweenFeb.28th and March 5th to be safe)... (I'm estimating the babies are between 10-14 days old... if their eyes are open and you clean cages every 2 weeks).

I'll be watching this thread... so if you have any other questions or concerns - I'm very happy to help out anytime.

Peg,

Hi I was reading your reply to Gary17 and you said the kits could eat oats the old fashioned kind right?

In all my reading I do not think I have read that. Do you have anymore advice along thoselines you would mind sharring.

Claud:bunnydance:

Snowballbunnie wrote:
Peg,

Hi I was reading your reply to Gary17 and you said the kits could eat oats the old fashioned kind right?

In all my reading I do not think I have read that. Do you have anymore advice along thoselines you would mind sharring.

Well - are you talking about tips about kits - or tips about breeding in general?

I don't give my kits a LOT of oats - and I'll try to go through my bookmarks and see where I first read it. It might have been in a book - I do a ton of reading (especially about rabbits).

I don't give them a lot of oats - but I do give them some. I have found that if they eat some oats and hay - it seems to be easier for them to then move onto mom's food in the food bowl. I am not sure why I've observed that.

I also do something crazy...but it works. I take critical care and mix it up with baby cereal...in the jar (rice cereal maybe) until it is stiff...and then I make "pellets" out of it and drop it in for them to eat....after their eyes open. I make maybe 1 tsp. per day for 3-5 days. I started this when I had two large litters for lionheads (7 and 8 babies) and I felt like they weren't getting enough nourishment from mama's cecal pellets (or whatever you call those things).

Anyway, I will try to find my source for the information on oats. I am careful about it as I don't want them to eat too much dry stuff and not drink....so I make sure mama is nursing them....

Peg

Snowballbunnie wrote:
Peg,

I first read this information in the following book:

Lop Rabbits as Pets by Sandy Crook - publication date - copyright 1986 by T.F.H. Publication

This book was recommended by our former moderator in our "cheat sheet" - in spite of the fact it is an older book. Personally, although I do not breed lops - I think every breeder should have a copy of it - I read this book ALL the time. On page 180 of my copy it says:

"When the eyes open, place some pellets and some crimped oats or dry old fashioned oatmeal in the nest box to introduce the kits to a solid diet. Introduction of a rabbit pellet specifically designed for babies or a creep feed is desirable."

My own comments here - although this book is an older book - it has been so helpful to me and I reread the breeding/kindling part almost every month about the time my does kindle (experienced breeders will tell you to breed more than one doe at a time so you can foster...I try to have my does all kindle within the same week usually). Why? Because it reminds me of the symptoms of a doe having problems and things to look for - and I am still new enough that I don't automatically remember such things.

Peg

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
Snowballbunnie wrote:

This site might help you out a bit... LOADS of information :bunnydance::cool:

OOPS!!!! Itmight help if I post the link

http://www.tsukiyo.org/argent/index.html

GREAT site....I've bookmarked it to look at later - it has a formula for nursing orphaned kits...

Peg

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
VERY IMPORTANT!!!! THAT WAS NOT MENTIONED EARLIER....

SHE COULDBE PREGNANT AGAIN NOW!

Doe's are highly fertile after kindling (giving birth) and often do rebreed within minutes to hours after delivering - that is if a buck is available and in the same cage with her. I would put a box in with her as a precaution of her being pregnant. Giveher a place to safely have the babies in... a wooden box or even a shoe box as a temporary solution would work just fine.

She may need slightly increased feed now that she's nursinga litter and that litter will soon be eating solids... but don't feed her too much - you don't want her to develope mastisis or put on fat buildup on her body as that will cause complications of delivery for the next litter - count on her delivering in 17-21 days from now (betweenFeb.28th and March 5th to be safe)... (I'm estimating the babies are between 10-14 days old... if their eyes are open and you clean cages every 2 weeks).

I'll be watching this thread... so if you have any other questions or concerns - I'm very happy to help out anytime.
Oh my! I never even thought of that - but you're right!

I am not sure what SunnieBunnie will recommend (more specifically) - but here are my recommendations...

a. Take the kit away from mama around Feb. 21-23. I'd wean them away from her one or two per day at first - probably two per day. She's going to want to stop nursing them by then if she's pregnant. I'd take the biggest away so that on Feb. 21 she only nurses 4 adn then on Feb. 22 she only nurses 2 and then on Feb. 23 she maybe nurses one...and then thats it. That's if she doesn't drive them away....

b. Put the nestbox in around Feb. 25th or 26tfh. I don't remember what your doe is for breed - you can find nestboxes on Ebay or make them yourself out of wood. Let us know the breed of doe and we can get you dimensions for a nestbox I'm sure.

c. Do NOT free-feed her like I may have mentioned above because she is pregnant. There can be complications and I don't want to scare you or worry you - it isn't like they're overly likely to happen if she's already healthy. But I would give her more than you normally give her.

Finally - remember that depending upon the breed - the kits can mate as young as 3 months (for smaller breeds). Have plans to separate them (bucks from does) by at least week 10 or 11...if they don't already have homes by then.

Good luck! Feel free to ask questions as thats what we're here for...

Peg

Well thank you for letting me know she could be preg, I was told they couldnt get preg for two weeks or so after birth so thats more wrong information ppl have told me :p.

Anyway as far as breed im unsure, I think there rex or one of the basic breeds like that. I can name over 150 chicken breeds but I know almost nothing about rabbit breeds :D . There around 6-7 pounds have basic fur length/body shape and 2are dark grey and1 of themales is albino.As far as the 4 surviving kits go 1 is dark grey, 1 is solid black and 2 are white.

Thanks for all the helpful information, its helped a lot.

TinysMom wrote:
Oh my! I never even thought of that - but you're right!

I am not sure what SunnieBunnie will recommend (more specifically) - but here are my recommendations...

a. Take the kit away from mama around Feb. 21-23. I'd wean them away from her one or two per day at first - probably two per day. She's going to want to stop nursing them by then if she's pregnant. I'd take the biggest away so that on Feb. 21 she only nurses 4 adn then on Feb. 22 she only nurses 2 and then on Feb. 23 she maybe nurses one...and then thats it. That's if she doesn't drive them away....
I would just leave the kits with her until she kindles again.... the reason being - they are only about 10-14 days old now - weaning on the 21st-23rd would make them only 3wks old at weaning... too young in my opinion, and weaning that early could cause more harm then good. When she kindles again, just wean the entire litter together - this will be less stressful on everybody, especially since she'll be nursing the other litter - you won't have to worry about mastisis.
b. Put the nestbox in around Feb. 25th or 26tfh. I don't remember what your doe is for breed - you can find nestboxes on Ebay or make them yourself out of wood. Let us know the breed of doe and we can get you dimensions for a nestbox I'm sure.
Just go ahead and put a nestbox in with her now since you don't know the specific date she will kindle, and the current little one's would benefit from one anyways. ;)
c. Do NOT free-feed her like I may have mentioned above because she is pregnant. There can be complications and I don't want to scare you or worry you - it isn't like they're overly likely to happen if she's already healthy. But I would give her more than you normally give her.
Depending on how much you normally feed her - I would double it... BUT if there is some left over 24hrs later from that feeding... I would decrease by 1/4 cup until the bowl gets cleanned out after 24hr feeding intervals. Just monitor her condition and the babies growth rate... if it seems they aren't getting enough to eat - feed more... if it seems they're getting too much and are leaving food - feed less.
Finally - remember that depending upon the breed - the kits can mate as young as 3 months (for smaller breeds). Have plans to separate them (bucks from does) by at least week 10 or 11...if they don't already have homes by then.
Correct. (Although I personally know a doe who conceived her 1st litter at 2mos old - her *gifted* brother quickly matured and fathered 2 litters, hers and his mothers next one :?.)
Good luck! Feel free to ask questions as thats what we're here for...

Peg

SunnieBunnie is more experienced than me - so follow her advice. I've not had the situation where one doe gets pregnant right after having a litter (other than one time when I fostered teh ONE baby she had and rebred her - but I had a specific reason for that).

Peg

one more question, is it ok to handle the babbies at 2 weeks old? I heard mother rabbits wont except a kit if it smells of human to much. The're just so cute its hard to resist holding them :D

Gary at 2 weeks old I would not worry about leaving them out side. It is fifteen bellow zero this morning here I have 7 day old kits in the shed and they seam to be fine. I also have some that are about the same age as yours and the are starting to eat. BY two weeks they should have enough fur to keep them selfs warm. Good luck.

Hello, I just wanted to come in with a update...

I took the kits and mother in a few days ago and placed them in a large dog cage. The kits have a nest box in the cage with the mother. The problem is I'm a little concerned about her feeding them. I dont know if its the stress of being indoors or something, or perhaps its normal behavior, but I dont think she's feeding them right. I know rabbits only feed there young a couple time a day quickly so perhaps I miss it, but the kits are able to get out of the nest box. I Observe them trying to feed from her and she jumps or pulls away, or even lays flat on her stomach not alowing them to feed from her. I'm concerned by the fact she seems to try to keep them from feeding. IS there anything i can do, should I try to take them away and hand raise them? Anything specific I should feed them, beside the formentioned slow oat meal.

Hi again!

I wouldn't worry about the mom and the babies. First of all - young rabbits are little pigs. You've probably seen ads or jokes where kids are saying, "Are we there yet?" every 5 miles? Well - babies are like that too - only its "Can I have a drink now?" - every time they get bored or want something. Its kinda like "Oh...there's mom - I'm gonna go steal a drink while everyone is asleep..".

Right....like mama really wants them doing that.

By now they should be eating hay, oats/oatmeal and possibly some of her food. If they're doing that - don't worry about it....trust me - she is probably nursing them.

Also remember that if she is pregnant again - she is going to wean them early....because of the coming litter.

If they're active and running around and looking healthy - then they're probably just fine. I have a litter here that was born at the end of January (I don't have my datebook handy) and mama does the same thing. But they're very active for several hours a day....and I have seen her nurse them - so even though she usually tries to get away from them - they're fine.

By the way - remember that in the wild - mom would only come to visit them once or twice a day and not be trapped in a cage with them to ahve them continually wanting to nurse!

Peg

Latest posts

Back