Rabbit keeps getting overheated (and it's winter here!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliena

Reaction score
Hi,

I am fostering a rabbit for my SPCA at the moment. She came to me with two 3 day old babies and then four weeks later had eleven more! Two have passed and the older two were weaned early so she is feeing nine babies (a week old).

She is currently living in my bedroom and when I let her out for a hop around she gets really hot and puffed within a few minutes. A trip down the stairs and back and she'll then sprawl on the floor puffing heaps. Her ears get super hot and I can feel the veins pulsing in them. Last night I picked her up and even her chest area felt really hot. I have spoken to the SPCA vet who suggested I give her a piece of lino to lie on (as opposed to the carpet which has an insulating effect) and put water on her ears when I can. After she's had a run around and I put her away it takes about an hour for her to stop panting.

Has anybody had rabbits like this before? My own rabbits only get hot and puffed after running at top speed around the backyard, and it only takes them maybe ten minutes to stop puffing. I am hoping that she is just really unfit but it worries me a lot when she starts breathing so fast and getting so hot. She is still eating and drinking ok but she is underweight (probably due to all the babies).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to cool her or any experience with this that would be much appreciated.I don't want to restrict her exercise too much because she gets really stir crazy but I don't want her to have a heart attack either!

Do you know anything about her history? It could be that she has not been let out much and it out of shape, so even a little running around could tire her out.
If she is underweight, then she might not have the energy to run around too much. It can take time for her to get back to a good weight and even longer if she has babies.
Having 2 litters back it back is hard. She may be getting tired just from all the kids around. Even producing milk can take some energy.
If she has been living outside, then she could have a heavier coat which would make her heat up faster. Some rabbits have a naturally thicker coat as well which doesn't help.

Having a spot where she can cool down will help. A small fan for when she is out may help as well (just watch her around the cord or use a battery powered one).
If you can, set up a pen around the cage. This can allow her to come and go as she wants and she can then exercise more. The pen could become an issue when the babies start to come out of the nest box, so you may need to make some adjustments so they don't get hurt or out of the pen. Maybe have the pen up when you can supervise and put her back in the cage when you are not around.

Has she had a vet check? It could be her getting hot, but it could be something else, for example heart or lung issues could have the same symptoms.

She had a quick vet check when she arrived at the SPCA but I've not taken her back since because I don't really want to put her through the stress. We know nothing about her history, only that she was found in someones barn with the first two babies.

She is underweight but we are working on that. I did have her in a crate & pen and was then letting her for short periods as she gets super cranky if she's not allowed out. As of today she is back in the shed (which is a lot cooler) in a much smaller indoor cage as the babies are almost mobile and I don't want them getting through the bars of the crate.

She spent the morning outside in a run and for the last five hours she has been back in her small cage, when I went out just now she still seemed to be breathing more rapidly than my own rabbits do, but maybe I'm just paying more attention than I usually do. I guess as long as her breathing sounds clear and she's still eating and drinking she can't be that bad right?

Yes she sounds stressed. Who wouldn't be in her situation.

Even better than linoleum is a piece of ceramic or marble tile to lay on. I got Honey 2 china serving platters & rotate them in & out of the freezer to keep them cool. Plus maybe a little spritz of water after her exercise.

I would definitely have her checked out by a vet to rule out a heart murmur or something like fluid in her chest which can make breathing hard.

Well Florence is doing a lot better, hasn't been puffing or overheating at all. She is now in a spacious outdoor hutch during the day and an indoor cage in the shed at night and this seems to be the right balance of temperature and exercise. Will get the vet to check her heart when I take her in for her vaccinations just in case.

Back