Rabbit just got neutered- what to expect?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miyumiyu

Reaction score
I picked Jinglebell up from the vet a couple of hours earlier, and since he came out of his cage he hasn't left the corner that he's laid down in. I put a bit of food in front of him, but it doesn't look like he's touched it. When I tried to pet him he made the I'm-hurt-bunny-noise teeth grinding sound, and I feel just terrible for putting him through this. I've got pain medicine from the vet, but I'm not supposed to dose him until tomorrow morning.

How long can he stay huddled up like that before I should get worried? Is it normal for him not to want to eat? The vet said I should try to get him to eat when he got home, but so far he wants none of it. I hadn't thought it would hurt him so much.

I'd be a bit concerned about him grinding his teeth. Any chance you can contact the vet to ask if you can give pain meds now?

He may also be staying huddled because he is feeling cold. When they have a GA done, their body temp drops, so it's important to provide a warm pack, warm towels, etc to help keep him warmed up. Also he may not be wanting to eat because he is feeling nauseous from the GA, and this just takes time to wear off.

It can take them up to a day(and sometimes longer) to start eating again and get back to normal. It becomes more of a concern if they haven't eaten for 12-24 hours, at which time you should contact your vet and ask about syringe feeding.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Thanks for your reply. He doesn't appear to be in much pain anymore, I've been giving him pain meds and he's hopping around and demanding to play. One thing I'm really worried about though- he's not eating his pellets.

The first day I brought him home he was pooping alright, but I noticed last night that it was getting kind of small and misshapen. I put fresh litter in his box before going to work this morning to see if they were still looking weird, and when I got back he still hadn't pooped.

I proceeded to freak out and try and get him to eat- he'll eat treats (of course), fresh mint (grows in the back yard), and I've even resorted to giving him romaine lettuce, just because he only seems to want to eat greens.

I'm at a loss. It's the weekend and I think most vets are closed, and I can't afford an emergency vet. Do you think this could be another side effect of the neuter, or does it sound like the dreaded G.I stasis?

I did see him drink from his water dish this morning, if that helps. I'd give him a heating pad, but he'd just devour the cord. He's nuts for cords. I hooked up my space heater and stuck it beside his cage, but he doesn't seem to want anything to do with it and is hiding on the opposite side.

I bought a hot water bottle with a furry cover. I put it next to my bunny to warm him up. Works great. Just use hot not boiling water, if it's not too hot for you it's ok for him! Pester him with hay and offer water, sometimes they're like babies and need extra coaxing. Good luck...

Thanks, I'll have to swing by Walmart after work and pick one of those up, it sounds really useful. Jingle seems content to lay by the heater for now, I think the noise just bugged him at first.

Does it sound like it could just be plain picky-ness? I'm still worried about Stasis, but since he's drinking and still energetic, I don't know what to think.

Thanks a bunch. He's finally started eating his pellets! Just stuck his whole face in the dish and started wolfing it down. I think Jingle's finally back to normal.

Latest posts

Back