rabbit is being aggressive to me as new rabbit has come

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber H

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here so not sure if I have placed this in the right place. I currently have a male bun named Gucci, he has been neutered and is a small lop, I have had him since 8 weeks and he is currently 9 months old. Prior to Gucci, I have always had male rabbits, some alone and some in pairs and it has always worked and been fine (most have been rescues so they were already bonded).

Anyways, I have recently rescued a little Netherland dwarf male and hoping to bond them once he has been neutered (next week!). However, I am finding Gucci being very aggressive, which is not in his nature at all since the new rabbit has come along.

I often handle Kenzo (my new bun) and wear the same clothes when im with Gucci. This morning I went to place his food in his hutch (Gucci) and he went to bite my arm, this is not in his nature what so ever. Also whenever Kenzo ponders outside of Gucci's hutch, as I do not let them out at the same time, he immediately starts biting on the bars and acts very agitated. I am quite worried as I said, Gucci has always been a lovely natured bun (he doesn't like being handled for too long but which bun does anyways haha!). I am also worried as Kenzo is a very very small nethie so when the bonding process does begin, I would not want him to be at a disadvantage.

Is it normal for Gucci to be acting in this way when he is smelling Kenzo on my clothes etc. My vet told me to start swapping the bedding so they can further get used to the smell, but Gucci just seems to be getting angrier. Is this normal?

I have had many buns over the years (always males) and have friends who have bonded males successfully many times, but I have never had to do the bonding process myself which is why I am quite worried.

any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Amber!

Welcome to the forum!

The first question that I have is probably, is Gucci free roamed or in a cage?

Often, freeroamed rabbits become aggressive because the new rabbit is in their territory, because everywhere is their territory.

I wouldn’t wear the same clothes when greeting Gucci that you did when greeting Kenzo. I think it’s okay to slowly swap over the bedding. It is generally normal for Gucci to act like that, I think many people go through it with their rabbits.

It’s likely that Kenzo won’t have a disadvantage, I’ve seen rabbits that are twice the size of their partners but are still bonded. I’d be careful while bonding though, in case either one does harm to the other. I would begin the real bonding about a month after Kenzo is neutered.

You can continue the slow sort of bonding. Like keeping their cages or pens near each other. Or giving each rabbit blankets that smell like the other.

Good luck! I hope this helps

Thankyou so much for your response!

Gucci is free roaming of most of the house and has been since we brought him home as he's an indoor bunny and want him to have as much space as possible. He only goes into his hutch at bed time or if I'm unable to watch him fully.

I have Kenzo booked in next week for his neutering and will wait a month from then to start the process properly. They are currently both housed separately but in the same room and I do see Gucci go over to Kenzo's hutch and sniff around but I be cautious as Kenzo is still quite fearful as we haven't had him too long so he's getting used to things.

I will definitely do the blanket idea, that sounds great!

I was just so worried as Gucci has always been so loving since we've had him and it is not in his nature to bite or act aggressive, especially towards me! & I will post some piccys for you to see them both!

do you have any tips on the bonding process with two boys? is it similar to just any normal pair of the usual boy and girl pair or is it a longer process because I know boys can be a bit more picky with their partner!

Thanks, Amber

Kenzo the Nethie and Gucci in his favourite spot - sleeping on my dressing table as I do my makeup!!

Attachments

• IMG_3511.JPG
    IMG_3511.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4
Thankyou so much for your response!

Gucci is free roaming of most of the house and has been since we brought him home as he's an indoor bunny and want him to have as much space as possible. He only goes into his hutch at bed time or if I'm unable to watch him fully.

I have Kenzo booked in next week for his neutering and will wait a month from then to start the process properly. They are currently both housed separately but in the same room and I do see Gucci go over to Kenzo's hutch and sniff around but I be cautious as Kenzo is still quite fearful as we haven't had him too long so he's getting used to things.

I will definitely do the blanket idea, that sounds great!

I was just so worried as Gucci has always been so loving since we've had him and it is not in his nature to bite or act aggressive, especially towards me! & I will post some piccys for you to see them both!

do you have any tips on the bonding process with two boys? is it similar to just any normal pair of the usual boy and girl pair or is it a longer process because I know boys can be a bit more picky with their partner!

Thanks, Amber

The bonding process will likely be very similar to Male and Female bonds but of course that will depend on your rabbits.
I doubt that Gucci’s aggression will continue after he gets used to Kenzo. I would say don’t give one rabbit more attention than the other (even though of course Kenzo is new and you want him to get used to his environment). Give them the same amount of attention and love.

Awe! They’re so cute! I love how cuddily looking Kenzo looks! And I always love lops! I want to get one (maybe in a few months!).

Do you feed them carrots all the time? It looks like quite a lot.

Good luck on bonding and Kenzo’s neutering!

I hope so, hopefully all will go well! & yes I have been doing that, currently let them out after the other for most the day.

& no, I tend to stick to kale only and give carrots here and there because of the sugar content in them! Looks a lot as I cut one strand into lots of little pieces for him haha!

Thanks a lot for your advice, much appreciated!!

I hope so, hopefully all will go well! & yes I have been doing that, currently let them out after the other for most the day.

& no, I tend to stick to kale only and give carrots here and there because of the sugar content in them! Looks a lot as I cut one strand into lots of little pieces for him haha!

Thanks a lot for your advice, much appreciated!!

I wouldn’t give Kale everyday as it has a lot of calcium in it. Most lettuces, aside from Iceberg lettuces, are good for rabbits.

personally my 5lb rabbit eats an adult sized handful of bagged salad from Tesco twice a day, and every two days gets either kale or spinach. And a small fruit snack every day.

Welcome to the forum! Your bunnies are so cute! The bonding process will most likely be more difficult since you have 2 males. Here is a link and video on bonding that might help: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

For the veggies, I suggest romaine, dark leaf, or red leaf lettuce. Along with cilantro, bell pepper, parsley, etc. Here is a picture of my weekly veggie schedule, but I have changed it up just a little to where he gets little to no fruit unless a special occasion.

Attachments

• Weekly Veggies (2).png
    Weekly Veggies (2).png
    16.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back