Rabbit inactive?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoshter

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it normal for a rabbit to just do nothing (I usually let her out at night from 7 to 10)?

So I got my bunny a couple weeks ago and I knew she wasn't as active as many of the other bunnies at the shelter since she's 3 years old. However, she doesn't seem to do much. She bites her cage all the time and when I let her out she just hops to a corner and sits there. She's eating/drinking plenty and her poop looks fine. I don't want her to become overweight or get unhealthy but can not seem to get her to do anything.

Bunnies tend to be most active late at night or early in the morning. It could be the time of day. I know Spike doesn't usually get a lot of energy till after 11, and he is always excited to run when I get up at 6. Is there any opportunity for you to try a different time letting your bun out? Either a bit later or earlier in the morning, just to see?

Sometimes I have to run and play myself to get spike going. He sees me running around or doing little jumps and decides to join in. Or he sees me playing with his toys and comes to claim them back.

Rabbits are crepuscular so naturally they're most active at dawn and dusk. I find that my two are the most active when I wake up in the morning. They're in their crate while I'm at school and then have access to be out again until I go to sleep, but usually they just lounge around.

If she's a little shy or nervous, she may just be adjusting to being in a new home and may just need some time to feel comfortable enough to want to play. You don't want to overdo treats, but as long as she doesn't have any digestive issues, you could try giving a small treat or two, to lure her out a little. Treats will do wonders with some rabbits, in helping them feel more comfortable in a new home.

It's possible that if she's shy she could still be settling in. Otherwise, what do you have for her to do in the way of toys? Could be the time of day too, like others have said, though Bandit tends to be pretty active around those times.

I think the time of day you are letting her out is fine - it's close enough to a rabbit's normally active time. Her inactivity is probably a combination of years of inactivity in her previous home, and the need to adjust to her new home. Just keep letting her out at the same time each day, and she will eventually adjust to the schedule and become confident enough to explore. A few weeks is not that long. An adult animal already entrenched in her habits might well need a lot more time.

My guy moves in short bursts of energy. Run around, jump jump jump, then he'll just lie for a while under a chair, sometimes an hour or more. If everything else is fine with her (happily eating, pooping, bright-eyed etc) I wouldn't worry yet.

Latest posts

Back