Rabbit in Shock (resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
As I was bringing the rabbits in tonight I noticed to my horror that Coco had managed to squeeze her head through the bars of the enclosure.
This had happened before with two other rabbits (medium sized not dwarf) when a dog had managed to come into the garden and started tearing around the runs.
I did intend to put finer mesh around the bottom of the run but it got forgotten since we secured the fencing of the entire garden much better and we haven't really had any incidents in a while.
I have no idea what frightened her so much as all the other rabbits were fine and the ones in the more open runs were unharmed and showed no signs of distress.
There are two cats that have taken to hang around the garden lately but they are very shy and the rabbits are not usually too freaked by them.
However, whatever it was didn't mean any harm (thankfully) as otherwise Coco's head would have been totally exposed to the predator. I am freaked out to think about it. I have no idea how long she had been like that but it could well have been an hour.
We had to prize open the bars to get her head out and she appears to be in shock (quite understandably) I am really worried of stasis setting in. They are all in their hutches now (she shares hers with two other rabbits) I didn't think it wise to bring her in and remove her from her usual surroundings as I hope the company will help her snap out of it.
She hasn't joined in when the others started munching there pellets but is just sitting there. She did sniff the fresh hay though which made me hopeful that she'll start eating soon. Is there anything else I should do tonight?

Yikes, just saw this, so sorry!

There isn't much you can do other than tempt her with small treats and keep her warm and stress-free -- which is something hopefully the other rabbits will do. Bringing her in may be stressful.

Hope she's okay! Poor bunny. :(

sas :clover:

You could give her a rice buddy to keep her warm. Fill an old sock with uncooked rice, tie the end shut and heat in the microwave for a minute or so.

Put it next to her to help her stay warm.

You could also give her some warmed fluids (body temp like a baby's bottle). A little bit of super watered down juice.

-Dawn

Yes, keep her warm with rice sock/warm towel, warm liquids. You may have to nurse her through the night to get her system going again, including pellet mash, if she doesn't eat. For now, warmth and access to food/water is the best solution.

Thanks for the replies. Coco seems to have recovered perfectly. I think having the other rabbits company must have helped. I'll be spending the morning putting something across those bars. It is unbelievable that they are able to get their heads through it. I must actually write to the company as this is a widely sold run which is very good in keeping the rabbits in but useless in a stress situation.

I think it can be marked as resolved:)
Image0098.jpg

Latest posts

Back