Rabbit Hiccup's?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskerz

Reaction score
Do rabbits get hiccups? Riley is having what seams to be hiccups, you know when you do those little jumpy twitch things when you hiccup..well, shes going them? Is this normal? or is something wrong?

Yes, they do get hiccups, but make sure that she's breathing ok. Sometimes what looks like hiccups can be a gasping attempt to breathe.

My bun does something similar to a hiccup; the reflexes are the same as human hiccups, but when I am holding her I can feel that there are gas bubbles in her tummy, leading me to believe that it's actually burps she makes.

Don't know if that helped, but I think what you're talking about is normal too.

I have only seen what I think are hiccups in babies that are still taking their mothers milk. I didn't think a rabbit could burb as the (stomach) sphincter was too tight for any gas to pass back up (same as why they can't vomit)

Could be allergies or like drainage of snot;).

Snuff used to make this hiccup/gagging sound. Freaked me out whenever he did it. So weird. He hasn't done it lately at all. There for awhile it was every other day at least once.:expressionless This wasn't due to either that I mentioned. But I heard those things just recently could be a cause of that.

I haven't heard a hiccup, but I have seen what I think is a hiccup. Muffin sometimes sits there and her body moves periodically like she's hiccuping.

To be totally honest, rabbits can vomit. It's extremely rare, so we usually just say they can't. Hiccups also don't come from the stomach but from the lungs and are similar to the way the first land animals breathed--like a lung fish, the body had spasms that opened air-filled sacs (lungs) where gases could go into the blood. These spasms remain in more evolved organisms like humans as a vestige of our ancestry to the first land-dwelling, air-breathing creatures. Pretty much everything that lives on land can hiccup.

Considering Riley passed away, is it possible that this was something else, and what could it have been? I'm interested to know because we never know when we can come across it again. I'm guessing it's all too possible this was somehow related to her passing :(

It could have been her gasping for air, if she were having lung or heart problems. Does that sound possible? Did you have a post-mortem done on her?

Latest posts

Back